Drain problem

Closed Thread

Drain problem

Can anybody help a dumb old dude like me?

Two things:

1)the bath tub is very slow to empty. I tried going at it with a rubber sink plunger yesterday and that sucked up some gunge. However it seems to be draining more quickly today. But, is there something I can buy to put down the plug hole, e.g. soda crystals or something, to melt/clear up the gunk? This is obviously an ongoing thing.

2) There's now an intermittent 'sulphery' smell coming from the kitchen sink. This obviously needs something pouring down it too.

One of my visiting students selflessly blamed the smell on his socks! But I assured him that this was probably not the case!

If anyone can give me some advice/names of proprietary brands, and can I get them at Wellcome - that would be really appreciated and save me a lot of time looking and trying to make myself understood.

You can buy Drano crystals from the supermarket - this may help.

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

Try "Eliminate", it's in liquid form. It's available in most hardware stores. But be warned, its highly toxic and corrosive, and very very dangerous if you dont handle it well.

Best to put on some long gloves and goggles for this..........

Make sure the area is dry (put the liquid in a couple of hours AFTER you have used the sink/bath) before you use it. Pour it directly into the drain, stand back (it will splash a little) and wait for a while (10 seconds usually). Pour in some water after that to get rid of the smell and your drain should flow without any blockages this time.

Hope it helps...

Last edited by Max; 29-06-2006 at 12:59 PM.

Eliminate works a treat. $15 at any hardware or homeware store. Highly toxic - the label says it can dissolve bones. The label also said wait 5 minutes but I only waited about 2 before freaking and thinking it must be destroying the pipes and turning on the tap but no more having a shower with the water up around my ankles.

Last edited by larac; 29-06-2006 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks guys, I'm getting it sorted!

becareful.....
    "Eliminate" is very very very powerful
    it can hurts you too

for your kitchen sink smell
    try to pour undiluted home use chlorine bleach
    Kao Bleach - from any supermarket