Asian Expats - Integrating / Socializing

Closed Thread

Asian Expats - Integrating / Socializing

Will be transferring to HK late Summer and have found this site to be extremely helpful.

I wanted to know whether the Asian Expats on this site have found it difficult to integrate into HK Society? To narrow down the question, I am ethnically Chinese but that's where the similarity ends (although I love phoenix claws).

Having grown and worked in the US, I am used to the laid back lifestyle, work when there's work and not sit around to kill time, straight as an arrow with no hidden agenda etc.

From my readings on this site, Hongkers seems to be an aggressive and materialistic place with co-workers out to get you no matter what and that you've to constantly watch your back. Is this true or am I generalizing?

What about the social scene?

Any thoughts and experiences from similar-cased Expats are welcomed!

Cheers.

>> Is this true or am I generalizing?

It is a stereotype. I've made several good friends amongst my co-workers and yes, there are a few who I could not stand.

Take it a day at a time, a person at a time and don't get into too much of a hurry to judge.

If you speak cantonese, I think your integration would be easier. People look at me and assume that I should be able to speak Cantonese, unfortunately, I don't, however, people will try their best to communicate with you.

From my readings on this site, Hongkers seems to be an aggressive and materialistic place with co-workers out to get you no matter what and that you've to constantly watch your back. Is this true or am I generalizing?
    I think that can happen in any country (backstabbing), in any company not just HK, in the US, they just try to do it in a politically correct manner.

Coming here was not the easiest thing for us, however, we were determined to come here with an open mind and try to live the local way. There are days that it just doesn't work, however, there are days that I can say, this is not a bad place to be.

Open yourself up to a positive experience, you can adjust easier here, if you already have preconceived ideas that HK is "out go get you" then your experience might not be too great. Good Luck

I just arrived a week ago, but will only be in Hong Kong for 2 months. So far, I've foud my "integration" to be quite difficult: everyone speaks Cantonese to me since I'm ethnically Chinese. They seem visibly irritated (at least the vendors yesterday) when I try to switch to Mandarin or English. I do have a distinct advantage in that I can read traditional characters, so that helps a bit, but it's been quite hard getting used to the fact that I can't understand anything that anyone says...

Thanks for the replies.

I am actually quite excited as I am keen to explore the positives of HKG - the food and easy access to Asia Pacific. Also keen to build new friendships and life as well since the transfer is more or less permanent. It was a big risk to take up the offer as it resulted in a breakup etc. so some parts of my hesitency goes back to whether I really made a good decision!

Know-It-All: It'll probably take a couple of months to stop thinking like a Yank and settle in locally - but hopefully will be able to join you guys for outings.

HKfornow: I do speak Cantonese but haltingly. Can't read or write though. Thanks for the advice on the work front...while I'll be quite senior in my department, I am just thinking of circumstances when it comes to working with peers from other departments. But as you said...be open and be alert :-)

Nobody020: In your two months here, has it been easy to cultivitate friendships then? I suppose waking hours will be taken up by work (mine will be 8-6 compared to flex hours I have now), but what are the typical avenues for meeting people if one is not much of a drinker/clubber?

Quote Originally Posted by nobody020:
    everyone speaks Cantonese to me since I'm ethnically Chinese. I do have a distinct advantage in that I can read traditional characters, so that helps a bit, but it's been quite hard getting used to the fact that I can't understand anything that anyone says...
    Same situation here, though overall they're not irritated if I speak in Mandarin or English - they just have the "I don't have a clue" look, hehe.

Once everything fails, I bring out a paper and pen and start writing