Basic Cantonese lessons for $100

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

i'm a japanese american, and i did this class last year. in my unit there were indians, filippinos, and tons of american/canadians....

btw the course is great and the teacher is fun

Quote Originally Posted by mobespierre:
    i'm a japanese american, and i did this class last year. in my unit there were indians, filippinos, and tons of american/canadians....

btw the course is great and the teacher is fun
    One thing that REALLY pisses me off about ISS and is that while these classes are for ethnic minorities--anyone who is not Chinese is an ethnic minority in HK--but ISS (housed in the same building as the Race Relations Unit) thinks it's ok to turn away white students simply because they're white. Income isn't a factor at all in their selection process. There was an Indian guy in one of the classes I took at ISS whose family own a building in Central worth several hundred million dollars, but because he's Indian, it's ok for him to be taking government subsidized Cantonese classes, while according to ISS, white teachers who earn under 20k shouldn't be allowed to take classes because they're white.

The classes are good and I learned a lot, but it doesn't look like the Race Relations Unit know what the hell they're doing if this kind of thing is happening right under their noses.

Quote Originally Posted by Max:
    Is this program still active? If so, I'm interested....
    If this program is still on then I'm interested but how to join it ??

[email protected]

Tell him Jay sent you. If you're white or have a white-sounding name, you're probably not gonna get in. lol. I feel so strongly about this I'm considering writing to the SCMP about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    [email protected]

Tell him Jay sent you. If you're white or have a white-sounding name, you're probably not gonna get in. lol. I feel so strongly about this I'm considering writing to the SCMP about it.
    Sorry to hear about this discrimination but nyways I am an Indian and not that white :P...thanks for the email id !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Prachs:
    Sorry to hear about this discrimination but nyways I am an Indian and not that white :P...thanks for the email id !!!
    If you're Indian you're good, even if you own a 50-room villa in Kowloon Tong.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

a tale of discrimination

Many many many years ago I went to this driving instructor and after the lesson asked how much
    30 dollars says he thinking I be Italian
    Frothing at the injustice I gave him some pardonable French
    and proclaimed my Hindooostaniness
    Whereupon in the spirit of hindichini bhaibhai
    he promptly lowered his asking to fifteen

I have always wondered what a regular Chan would have paid

Quote Originally Posted by kombuchakid:
    Many many many years ago I went to this driving instructor and after the lesson asked how much
    30 dollars says he thinking I be Italian
    Frothing at the injustice I gave him some pardonable French
    and proclaimed my Hindooostaniness
    Whereupon in the spirit of hindichini bhaibhai
    he promptly lowered his asking to fifteen

I have always wondered what a regular Chan would have paid
    You're a clown. lol. $15...wow, that must have been in the 70s!

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

I called the ISS and they mentioned that they are already in the middle of their current program and are not taking on any new students for now.

New applicants will have to wait till next month when they start a program for the next batch.

just to let y'all know, they're enrolling now. first come first served so get in there quick!

i'm a brit and did it with two other brits. was mostly indians, but go through william the tutor, rather than the iss and you'll get a spot - so long as it's not already full

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast