Entering HK without a return ticket

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Entering HK without a return ticket

Hi folks,

I'm 19 (almost 20 though ), and living in Germany. I'll start a vocational training program in Hong Kong in September. I'm going to stay in HK for two years. I'm already into organizing as much as I can over the internet.

The first Question I have has to do with my visa:
    Assuming that my working permit is not going to arrive soon enough, it would mean to me that I had to enter HK as a tourist. Is this possible if I don't have a return flight-ticket?

Does anybody also now a cheap airline for flights from Germany to HK except of Cathay?

Thanks so far!

Born in Toronto - Was Living in Tokyo - Now Living in HK

Hi Altralazer,

Yes it is possible to enter HK with a one-way ticket because I have just done the exact thing last week.

My work Visa hasn't come though yet but, I entered HK with only a one-way ticket and a tourist visa. I hear sometimes that immigration may ask if you have enough funds or a credit card to purchase a ticket back if you need but, I was never asked.

As for any cheap airlines, I wouldn't be able to tell you. I think if you check on sites like www.expedia.com you will find the average price of the tickets that you are looking for.

Have a safe trip to HK...

Quote Originally Posted by altralazer:
    Hi folks,

I'm 19 (almost 20 though ), and living in Germany. I'll start a vocational training program in Hong Kong in September. I'm going to stay in HK for two years. I'm already into organizing as much as I can over the internet.

The first Question I have has to do with my visa:
    Assuming that my working permit is not going to arrive soon enough, it would mean to me that I had to enter HK as a tourist. Is this possible if I don't have a return flight-ticket?

Does anybody also now a cheap airline for flights from Germany to HK except of Cathay?

Thanks so far!
    You can search on your local search engine (whatever it is) for some local travel web sites. I wouldn't go for cathay coz tickets are quite expensive. I usually go for Lufthansa (your airline) the cheapest one I usually find every time I go to HK.

www.fare.net is a good site to find tickets to & from HK.

thank you for your answers so far!

shwetapershad, thanks for the link!

EUChinese,
    What about Quantas? searching for flights with travelocity.de it seems to be the cheapest so far.However, Lufthansa is the most expensive airline I've met by now. They charge 1200Euro for a roundtrip and about 3000 Euro(!!!) for a one-way ticket, whyever they do it?!?! I'd almost get a business class flight for that money.

Thanks guys!

Keep in mind that it is sometimes as expensive or even cheaper to get a return flight instead of a one-way.

For those under 26 STA-travel (www.statravel.com orhttp:// www.statravel.de)usually has the best prices (worth a try even if you are over 26, as they also do tickets for those of us that are over 26 for good prices).

altralazer, you might encounter more problems in Germany. You should check with your travel agency for some agencies will not book one-way-tickets to HK if you don't have the specific visa or a HK ID card. (Bürokraten, eben ).

Last edited by dicesix; 10-07-2006 at 11:33 AM.

dicesix, haven't read of that on any internet-booking-pages and since that's the way I'm planning to buy my ticket, it hopefully is not going to be a problem

altralazer

dicesix, haven't read of that on any internet-booking-pages and since that's the way I'm planning to buy my ticket, it hopefully is not going to be a problem

altralazer

EDIT:
    Hey automatic, what a great weblink, they have the best prices so far! Thanks for it!

Quote Originally Posted by altralazer:
    Is this possible if I don't have a return flight-ticket?
    It is no problem when entering Hong Kong. However, when you check-in for your flight in Germany, the personal will check your passport and might cause trouble if you have a one-way ticket and no visa. When I flew from Frankfurt a few years ago, the guy at check-in initially refused to let me on the plane, because I had no return ticket. Fortunately, I already had a HK-ID card at that time, so finally he let me board.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast