Lights Out Hong Kong - Against Air Pollution on August 8th

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

yeah, hard hats with solar charged lights...

---

nah, i wouldn't say that's too cynical - just realistic with a critical eye . i know what you mean, KiA.

but maybe i will simply switch on all lights in my flat and switch off all aircons that day and will still end up with less electricity... as protest against that protest - but still with energy saving in mind

Quote Originally Posted by connecta:
    -> optometrists selling you glasses and contact lenses after reading too much in the dark?
    This is a common misconception. Reading in the dark may make you more prone to stress-headaches, but it has no effect on your eyesight.

what's all this about Ogilvy

In looking at the lightsout.com.hk site, I see their list of supporters is WWF, Friends of the Earth, Greenpeace, Greenpower, Green student council, etc. No mention of Ogilvy.

I agree that companies usually have motivations other than altruism when they sponsor events. But I disagree that this sponsorship in any way invalidates the event. Ogilvy, if they are in fact a sponsor, are likely looking for good PR, and they are right to get good PR when they can find it. Wouldn't you rather they get their PR from sponsoring environmental events instead of hostile takeovers of sympathetic companies or false accounting practices? Who cares if they aren't in it only for the good of the environment? I certainly don't feel "manipulated" in getting the chance to express my dislike of and powerlessness over the HK air pollution along with other like-minded residents.

Another point people seem to raise in this forum is that this event is somehow about saving energy. OK, it may save a tiny amount to turn off your lights for a few minutes, but that's not the point of the event. It is SYMBOLIC, a gesture to show that people care about air pollution and want the government to take action. And the reason it's lights out and not an air conditioner is of course so that people will be able to witness all the lights going out at 8pm. If you imagine the entire city going dark at 8pm: now that would be a great gesture. Of course it won't happen like that, but still.

I'm for putting away our jaded selves for another day and spreading the word about this interesting event instead. The very, absolutely worst scenario for an individual: you miss 3 minutes of a TV show and you're the only person turning off your lights so you feel a little silly. Damn.

kbell : http://whois.domaintools.com/lightsout.com.hk

Follow the money.

Knowing ad and pr agencies .. even a domain registration would have taken an act of god to approve.

I say good for them for finding someone to foot the bill. If I were organizing some non-profit event, I'd try to find some corporate sponsors to pay for my domain, advertising and publicity too. What's the harm in that?

What I'd like to hear is what exactly you think Ogilvy will gain from 3 mins of lights out in HK? I mean, aside from good PR for supporting a community cause, what's the very most that could be in it for them?

Haven't you bought anything lately? You support corporate interests all day long. I say this particular instance of supporting corporate interests, if that's what you think it is, has at least the merit of civic intentions.

Sure, there are corporations behind lots of events, but I'm having trouble imagining the big dark conspiracy behind this one that makes everyone in this thread so certain it's not worthwhile to participate or to publicize. I mean really, how much could be at stake when we're talking about a lightswitch?

Ok, so you now accept that Ogilvy is behind it.

Like I told you in the email, some sort of disclosure would be good. There are way too many political interests at play right now with the various campaigns and it would be nice to just have some honesty .. "we're doing this to win an award as the best PR campaign" .. or "This effort is being sponsored by the Daya Bay Nuclear Power Corporation who wants the power plants to be shut down" ...

Oh yeah, and then there is the hypocritical thing too .... will they advice their clients to turn off all the non essential billboard / outdoor lighting? Now .. that would be putting their money where their mouths are.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Oh yeah, and then there is the hypocritical thing too .... will they advice their clients to turn off all the non essential billboard / outdoor lighting? Now .. that would be putting their money where their mouths are.
    I think it would be worth checking their own offices to see if the lights go off!

Nah .. too many account teams preparing for client pitches.

so how many of you will participate? and how many of you won't? and is it because ogilvy is behind it?

i'm going to turn off my lights that evening because i don't see how turning off my lights to show support for a better environment to live in, whether the funding for the event comes from some nuclear plants want to shut down the power plants or not, violates my principles at all.

and kbell is right. this event is supposed to be symbolic. i really hope that this is big enough of a gesture to raise awareness to the government. and hopefully the government will legislate laws prohibiting things like idle engines.