Like Tree10Likes

cooking at home - without spending a fortune!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by anii:
    Wall Road.
    Probably you mean South Wall Road, Kowloon City.
    Last edited by bookblogger; 12-07-2010 at 08:05 PM.

OMG! i found a recipe on BIGOVEN.COM and it was awesome! not healthy in the least though!

it was for chicken wings...

flour them, dip in egg, flour again.
    fry them until browned.
    put in a baking dish and cover with 1c bbq sauce mixed with 1/2 cup honey....
    bake for 30 min (or until done)

OMG! sooooo YUMMY!

Crocodile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Probably you mean South Wall Road, Kowloon City.
    Yes, thank you for the correction. I'm fatally poor with directions.

Wow good to see so many suggestions. Today I made a really nice pasta sauce by roasting tomatoes, red onions, garlic and italian herbs, all drizzled in olive oil, for about an hr on about 190 degrees C in my mini oven. Then I blended the mix, fried a little bit of butter, added the mix to the pan and let it reduce a bit. The sauce tasted good but unfortnately not as nice as it smelt.

Google 'roasted tomato sauce'

My flat smells like italy!

Also it was a bit orange and not as rich as i wantedl i might try cherry tomatoes next time and more tomatoes less onions. Maybe add a tiny bit of tomato puree.

I'm gonna try those chicken wings and make myself down to the markets for herbs (been using dried italian herb mix lol, not quite chef yet!)

thanks everyone, i like this thread!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by justjoe86; 13-07-2010 at 12:56 AM.

ps anii, are you a chef? You seem very confident. To answer your question, my favourite food is italian or indian, depending on my mood. I love anything with tomato in it. I also love thai food, mexican, portugese, actually loads of stuff!

But anyway this forum is meant for everyone not just me, i was hoping to get a discussion a bit like this one with people discussing a) food they like and b) hong kong solutions to western ingredients, either where to buy or substitutes to use

so i'm pleased with the way it's going!

I'll be going to chungking soon ( although the place scares me a bit!) because i need garam masala and some other stuff to make a tikka masala curry.. I know its a western invention and not really indian but i love it!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Nah. Not a chef. I just find cooking therapeutic, plus, visiting the wet markets weekly is still fun for me. =) Just experimenting really.

If you want a more intense tomato flavour, I think you could simmer the sauce longer after the roasting, to reduce it further. The other thing is, to make the sauce from scratch like that, you probably need the tomatoes which are vine-ripened - the flavours are richer, vs. those plucked earlier and ripened off the vine. Otherwise, mix in canned / pureed tomatoes for the colour and flavour, and balance out the sourness with a bit of sugar if needed.

the below recipes can be done in less than an hour, so should be easy:

this is a quick thai beef salad, if you have leftover beef. Otherwise, grill / pan fry to medium and slice thin a steak:

Dressing:

- 1tp soy sauce
    - 2 tbs fish sauce
    - lime juice to taste
    - brown sugar to taste
    - a few kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded. Substitute with lemon grass finely chopped if you do not have this.

Stir till sugar dissolves, leave this to sit while you prepare the rest of the salad. You may not need the whole quantity of dressing, this is probably enough for 3-4 servings, I tend to prepare slightly more as I prefer a wetter salad for this.

Beef:
    slice thin, leave aside,

Salad (portion for 2):
    - salad greens of choice (I like cucumber, lettuce, grape/cherry tomatoes)
    - small red onion or two, finely sliced
    - chillis, shredded (as spicy / nonspicy as you like)
    - a cup in total of hand torn coriander leaves, basil (sweet) and mint leaves <- adjust the proportions to your own taste.

Plate salad, beef on top, pour dressing over, toss, and happy munching. =) If you're storing this for overnight, keep the ingredients separate.

As you like tomatoes, to increase the intensity of the flavour, you could roast the cherry tomatoes in the oven with a bit of olive oil before adding to the salad.

There're lots of fresh clams in the wet market this season, a large plate is going for about HKD 20-25. The following is an easy tomato-clam-white wine pasta, you could extend the roast tomato sauce you have as well with this. For 2-3:

- wash clams, discard dead ones,

- saute minced garlic and onions in oil,
    - add canned tomatoes (or the roast tomato sauce you've mastered - you could prepare double portions and freeze for use)
    - tip in half a cup of a dry white wine
    - shake in your italian herb mix (otherwise, fresh basil, and oregano if you like)
    - sugar to reduce the tartness, if needed
    - fresh pepper.
    - bring to a low simmer to reduce sauce - generally, the longer you simmer pasta sauces, the richer the flavours.

-taste sauce, if ok,
    - tip in the clams

- let it simmer till most of them are opened, remove the unopened ones.

top onto your cooked pasta, flake some parmesan (or parmigiano-reggiano) over, and munch on!

You could also add other seafood to it and eat it with some crusty bread instead too.

have fun

Edit: Chungking mansions... ehh... wouldn't recommend going there alone if you're female.

Last edited by anii; 13-07-2010 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anii:
    If you want a more intense tomato flavour, I think you could simmer the sauce longer after the roasting, to reduce it further. The other thing is, to make the sauce from scratch like that, you probably need the tomatoes which are vine-ripened - the flavours are richer, vs. those plucked earlier and ripened off the vine. Otherwise, mix in canned / pureed tomatoes for the colour and flavour, and balance out the sourness with a bit of sugar if needed.
    Agreedm ... I almost always used good canned toms in Hong Kong for tomato-based sauces as they're picked and packed when the tomatoes are perfectly ripe. I find that even the vine-ripened toms in HK can be a bit bland and 'flowery'.

There's a great trick I know to make a basic tomato sauce when using fresh toms. Cut a load of tomatoes in half and squeeze out the pips into a sieve over a bowl.

Add a little salt to the tomato seeds and leave aside for half an hour.

Chop up the tomato flesh and add to a pan with some garlic that’s been lightly fried in olive oil. Cook for a while before adding a glass of white wine – cook off the wine.

By now the salt should have drawn out the fragrant tomato water from the seeds – the water is almost clear and utterly delicious (add ice cold vodka for a wicked Bloody Mary variant).

Pop it into the sauce, season with black pepper (shouldn’t really need salt) and you have a basic tomato sauce. Reduce more for pizza topping. Add chili for al'arrabiata. Add chicken or vegetable stock for soup. Etc etc …

I think it was from a Heston book but may have been JO

Nice one. Haha no I'm not a girl. Someone else on here recommended chungking for indian spices. Dunno how I gave you that impression, must be my overuse of exclamation marks and 'lol'

About my tomato sauce, reducing it further was gonna make it too thick, so I guess I could reduce it further and add tomato juice to thicken it again? Kind of replacing the water with tom juice. Also i'll look for some vine tomatoes, but the ones i had were a really nice red colour before i cooked them.

I'm not keen on clams myself which is a shame in hk. But hopefully someome else will give that recipe a try! Actually i need to get less fussy with seafood because in hk they have it everywjere! Even on pizzas haha.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Hi Everyone,

I am moving to Hong Kong and planning to cook food for myself on a daily basis. Can you please tell me how hard is it to get Indian Ingredients in Hong Kong like Daal and Wheat Flour and esp spices? I have a stock of spices for a whole 6 months though

Please share experience of cooking Indian food if someone does it on a daily basis. Let me know if someone is interested to have Veg Indian home cooked food at my place from September onwards. I would most likely move to TC.

Thanks,
    Amrit

limepickle.. Bloody mary is like my favourite drink so i'll be trying your suggestion for sure! (and i gradually begin to see why posters assume i'm female lol)
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast