Like Tree10Likes

cooking at home - without spending a fortune!

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by anii:
    anyone game to start the food thread with pictures of their own preparations / cooking and end product to complement the recipes?.. visuals are what makes a cooking book/thread!
    in principle my answer's yes. If I ever cook something worthy of photography i'll let you know.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    in principle my answer's yes. If I ever cook something worthy of photography i'll let you know.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    =) put up the basic dishes too, why not. The thing about home cooking isn't just about cost / complicated dishes, more the fun (and heart!) making something from scratch.

and.. thanks to your thread, i'm now going to be moseying down to South Wall this weekend.

limepickle, if you need me to recce for a certain spice, let me know. cheers!

=)limepickle, if you need me to recce for a certain spice, let me know. cheers!
    Thai basil and lime leaves please. Haven't found either in my local 'super'markets, or the wet market in Mong Kok

Has any one seen fenugreek in hk?

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    I saw the seeds in citysuper

Quote Originally Posted by limepickle:
    Thai basil and lime leaves please. Haven't found either in my local 'super'markets, or the wet market in Mong Kok
    I'm very sure the south wall shops have those two, as I'd bought my kaffir leaves (you mean these right) there, and saw bunches of the thai basil too - the latter are usually loaded in styrofoam boxes and covered with a wet cloth, along the mint and fresh vegetables. It is sold in large bunches, and the kaffir leaves are usually packed into little packets in a chilled section.

Time to make a trip there, lime. =D

Seed or herb? I can look out for it this weekend if you like.

Seed or herb? I can look out for it this weekend if you like.
    Herb, thanks anii, appreciate your help.

I buy from the Nepali store in Wan Chai. They get fresh vegetables on every Wednesday.

I think I have seen it at Alibaba store in Wan Chai but not sure.

You can try there. Also most Indian provision store carry it.
    gunsnroses likes this.

One more thing that my granny taught me if you cant find fresh fenugreek... you can buy dried ones and soak them in water (cant recall if its warm water or normal water though) for sometime. Ofcourse it wont be as fresh but works in case of emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by mercury_element:
    One more thing that my granny taught me if you cant find fresh fenugreek... you can buy dried ones and soak them in water (cant recall if its warm water or normal water though) for sometime. Ofcourse it wont be as fresh but works in case of emergency.
    I live alone and cook for myself and live in HK, where there are so many eating joints, what emergency I can have

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast