Having a Baby in Hong Kongl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Having a Baby in Hong Kongl

Hi, I'm looking for some help. I live in Hong Kong but am British, and am due to have my first child in two weeks time. I am now looking for information on registering my baby and obtaining a passport, can anyone advise me on what I need to do as I seem to keep drawing blanks, thanks in advance.

Lisa,

The process is fairly painless -- we went through it a few years ago.

1) Give birth -- thats the tough part
    2) Get the birth certificate done
    3) Head over to the consulate, fill up the forms, and take all the documentation they need like parents passports etc, get the forms signed / attested by another british citizen
    4) Wait a couple of weeks for the passport ...

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?...=1065717794316

We found them extremely helpful when communicating with them via email.
    [email protected]

And finally don't forget to get active on www.geobaby.com

on that note, isn't it tough to have an infant in hk..
    the infrastructure is just totally inadequate...

most families in hk ended up hiring a maid or someone to take care of their baby while both parents work.. maybe that's the right solution but doesn't sound too exciting to me...

when you have a push chair, it can be very difficult, but you soon learn where the lifts/escalators are, which shopping centres have changing rooms/feeding rooms...

it doesn't take long to get the hang of it.

and as for having a helper, they are just that... a helper, another setof hands. it's great, when you're sick there's someone that can help with the baby..when you go shopping there's someone to help carry the groceries so that you can carry the baby...there's someone to help with the household chores so that you can spend time with your bundle of joy.

One thing to remember if you intend on travelling with baby before receipt of passport is that you need to take the bundle of joy's birth certificate with you.

My baby hold Australian passport. We plan to take him to Aussie this September for holiday, do we need to acquire a Hong Kong visa for him? He is also HK permanent resident, with HK birth certificate.

CK : Your kid's passport should be endorsed by immigration that he / she does not need a visa. Takes an hour or so at immigration. Just show up with the birth cert and the passport.

Thanks KIA. What is the visa name, do you know?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast