Like Tree88Likes

How much dowry?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

How much dowry?

Just checking for a friend who is confronted with a rather large amount of a dowry request? what's the average?

yes i know 20-100k on average, but what about that wedding with the gweilo banker? any rule of thumb in terms of how many months salary?

Just to be clear, you're asking how much the family of the bride should pay the banker to take her off their hands, is that it?

Fenix2 likes this.

dowry??? do they realise that it is 2010???

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    yes i know 20-100k on average, but what about that wedding with the gweilo banker? any rule of thumb in terms of how many months salary?
    Wah... Your friend would be so lucky if the figure's that low.

And not to mention the bit 'bout the soon-to-be hubby being a "gweilo" AND a "banker"...

PDLM - Think 'local': Question's about how much for marrying the daughter her nearest kin gets.

Sounds a little excessive 'in this day and age' and so on... but it's a well-known CURRENT practice - cultural thing, carried on generation by generation.

Figures I've heard range from a third to quarter of a mil' to under a coupla hundred Ks.
    Last edited by emmie; 15-07-2010 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Just to be clear, you're asking how much the family of the bride should pay the banker to take her off their hands, is that it?
    There may not be enough money to take the Little Princess off of their hands.....
    Last edited by Crocodile; 15-07-2010 at 05:30 PM.

Eh? "Dowry" is clearly a payment from the bride's family to the groom. If you mean a payment from the groom to the bride's family then that is a "bride price". And frankly I don't see how that is much different from pimping, which is, of course, illegal.

If you do mean that the family are pimping her out then the banker should do some basic calculations - he could have one of the best whores in town for HK$3000 per night or so and he'll probably be too busy to need more than a couple of nights a week. And with that he doesn't need to cover all the other costs of having her on standby 24*365.

Fundamentally, if money is sufficiently important to him that he has to consider the price put on the woman's head (i.e more important than other considerations such as love etc) then he is almost certainly going to be better off just buying by the night as needed.

If, on the other hand, he wants to marry for love then he should just tell the pimps to fuck off, and get married anyway. If the woman doesn't agree to this then she's no different to the whores on Lockhart Road, and so he should simply buy there because it will be far, far cheaper in the long run.

Last edited by PDLM; 15-07-2010 at 05:39 PM.

I demanded of my father-in-law for my SEAWofHO:

5 golden virgins,
    4 suckling pigs,
    3 clucking chickens,
    2 rice fields,
    and a DH at my beck and call!

Jesus H. Christ, what century is this?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Traditions involving pots of money die hard.

dear giant likes this.

mixed marriage here... no dowry or "bride price" paid by either side. this is the 21st century afterall!

Apparently, my wife's family were also expecting some sort of payment on my part. I didn't find out about it until a few years later though. She flat out refused when they brought it up to her before the wedding. Her sister's getting married in a while to another local, and her husband-to-be will be giving them money for it. If I recall correctly, their explanation for it was some sort of compensation for having raised the livest-- bride.

dear giant likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast