Help! Smelly toilet water

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help! Smelly toilet water

First off I'd like to apologize if this thread grosses anyone out. Feel free to stop reading right now.....

....Anyway, I just moved into a new place and I love the apartment. EXCEPT one thing - the water that comes out of my toilet when I flush smells like sewer water. This just started happening the last few days when it's been pouring rain so some people have told me this is normal in HK. Sometimes the drains get backed up...

I've tried using those little blue things that turn your water blue, I've cleaned and bleached the inside of the toilet like a hundred times. It always smells fine UNTIL you flush the toilet and then the smelly toilet water is back.... AH! I'm so frustrated!

Gross... PLEASE let me know if anyone else has experienced this problem. I need to know if this is something I've gotta learn to live with or not. And if not then I need to say something to my landlord.

Well, at my place it happens from time to time that the flushing water looks like it has been used for construction works before..... in all supermarkets you can buy some sort of cleaning tablets for the toilet tank! I have used it, but after some months the whole flushing system plugged up..... The management office then told me that I shouldn't have used such tablets in this estate.... very weird!!
    They like to inform people when its too late...

Yeah I've used a few of those cleaning tablets that are in the tank but it doesn't seem to help much. So what did you finally do about the situation?

well, basically nothing. They said it happens from time to time... you get used to it!

Complain to your building management before you talk to the landlord.

They do that twice in 3 months where I'm staying, they always say that it happens when they are cleaning the water tank for flushing toilets.

Thanks everyone for responding. I am hoping that it is not going to be a permanent problem in my apartment. if it's occassionally I suppose i'll learn to live with it. Now onto to how to keep the roaches out!

Roaches are easy. use any brand, spray a couple of times and the most important thing is, don't leave any food around for them to feast on, they'll stay away.

Red face

Just get roach baits. They're very useful.

Okay the smell is back. And it's no longer raining so can't blame any clogged drains or pipes... Two questions:

1) For those of you who have experienced this problem - how long did it last each time it happened? Days or weeks? Longer?

2) How do I know who my building management is? Is this a lame question? I just have my landlord's info and I signed the lease with him and the agent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast