Ever used these before?

Closed Thread

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

Ever used these before?

A new take on English language usage...............

__________________________________________________ _______________
    With due respect, speak right

ANI[ WEDNESDAY, MARCH 24, 2004 04:36:28 PM ]

LONDON: At the end of the day, we use them with all due respect, but they are just plain irritating.

A group of 5000-member Plain English campaigners are now fighting against gobbledegook and have drawn up a hitlist of the most annoying phrases in the English language.

And, according to The Sun , they include "at this moment in time", "with all due respect" and the footballers' favourite "at the end of the day".

Tired expressions such as "let's touch base", "between a rock and a hard place" and "it's not rocket science" are also blasted by them. Even the repeated use of "like", "absolutely" and "basically" in conversations gets the thumbs-down.

The group, which dedicated their fights to improve the standard of English, drew up the list to celebrate its 25th anniversary.

Spokesman John Lister said, "These phrases are used so often that they are used without thinking. At first they serve a purpose as they are a fresh way of describing something. But when they are used over and over again for the wrong reasons they lose any meaning they had in the first place."

Lister said his pet-hate was the growing use of "to be honest". He added, "It means the next thing that will come out of the speaker's lips will not be honest."

The 10 most hated list are:

1 . At the end of the day

2 . At this moment in time

3 . Like, (as punctuation)

4 . With all due respect

5 . To be honest

6 . Let's touch base

7 . I hear what you're saying

8 . Going forward

9 . Absolutely

10 . Blue sky thinking
    __________________________________________________ _______________

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...how/579843.cms

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

I actually sent out the following earlier today: could be I had nothing to say

I am cautiously optimistic about gates 8 and 5 on the said A+3 course, and optimistically cautious about the results of 22nd Feb vis a vis tonight meeting at this present moment in time, and am sure that fortune will favour the brave in the fullness of time

Guitly on #1, #4, #9...

"going forward" seems to be a favourite phrase in my company...taking lessons from the past but not to be overly attached to it.

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

Funny enough,...I use stuff like that almost everyday...

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK
    Quote Originally Posted by Max:
    Funny enough,...I use stuff like that almost everyday...
    Worry not! I await with bated breath samples of colourless, painstakingly to-the-point and cut-to-the=bone Plain-English offerings by those 5000-plus advocates of the cause.

All said and done (they forgot that one!), no surprise that it's coming from London. In the international community I have long been hearing complaints from erudite people (including emigrants, nay escapees from the class system, from UK to Canada) about widespread "overeducation" and "underproductivity" among the English. Shall search through my archives for choice specimens if provoked.

Unfortunately for those who learn English as a second language, there are books containing such "idioms" and "frequently used expressions". People actually study them, memorize them and practise using them in order to sound more fluent when speaking English.