Were you at Stauntons on Friday Night?

Closed Thread

Were you at Stauntons on Friday Night?

Ok, if anyone was at Stauntons on Friday night you would have seen him.

Got there at 9pm and there was strange character, drunk at the bar. He got abusive with the bar staff, cos they tried to cut him off! The bar staff in their wisedom figured it was easier to keep serving him ... (go figure!). There was no security and the manager was way too intimidated to do anything about it.

Got abusive with us, cos we weren't interested in entertaining him.

Eventually the bar staff was persuaded to call the cops.

The cops, then needed the bar to register an official complaint to be able to take the wanker out ... which they did not. The cops requested that the man leave the bar .. and he kept coming back. What a mess!

Isn't it the bar's duty to protect other customers? Shouldn't a bouncer or security person be around around to take care of drunks? All the staff at Stauntons were TINY and either unwilling or incapable to deal with the idiot.

Perhaps the wonderful SOHO association can use some of the dues that the member establishements pay them to hire a communal bouncer?

It is an offence for a bar to serve someone who they have good grounds to believe is drunk (yes, really) so the police could have pointed out that they have to either raise a complaint or be charged themselves.

Personally I hate the idea of bouncers - I generally will not go to bars that have them because I believe it is a self-fulfilling prophecy: if you have bouncers you tend to attract people who fancy a fight because they think it is a rough pub.

Having said that, Staunton's usually has a pretty good contingent of large gwailos drinking there so I'm quite surprised that a couple of them didn't get together and "persuade" this guy that it was in his best interests to move on...

I guess the problem might have been if the guy was a very regular customer who just for once "lost it" then Staunton's might have been trying to hang on to his business.

Last edited by PDLM; 06-08-2006 at 11:24 AM.

Yeah, I'd suspect it was a regular who messed up ....

Fixed the typo! The Drunk was with his colleagues and they couldn't persuade him to move on.

This is not the first time. That guy does it every few weeks. He is a big spender so they let it slide. Had no idea you guys were at the bar or I would have stopped by for a chat.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    This is not the first time. That guy does it every few weeks. He is a big spender so they let it slide. Had no idea you guys were at the bar or I would have stopped by for a chat.
    GREAT! That's the last time I'm going to Stauntons! Can't believe they value his business over the safety of others.

Jared, we've got to find a new place to meet

i doubt its any much different elsewhere. just whether u bump into them or not. 8-)

Rani
    This is the reason I stopped going to Someplace Else in TST many moons ago. Of course the other reason were the trannies.
    It seems like the eateries and bars here are reluctant to even warn these regulars that misbehave. They would rather lose a dozen customers than kick one of these losers out.

I have seen fight in stauntons before. Flying ash tray and blood really scared me off. Anyhow it was fast enough for ppl around to throw the bugger out before anyone gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkangel:
    I have seen fight in stauntons before. Flying ash tray and blood really scared me off. Anyhow it was fast enough for ppl around to throw the bugger out before anyone gets hurt.
    WOW! Can't believe it! I haven't seen a bar fight in years. Why does Staunton attract a rough crowd?