May be moving to HK with family - What's it like ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

May be moving to HK with family - What's it like ?

My husband has been offerred the possibility of relocating to HK from London and I am trying to get my head round what life is like living in HK with young children - We have 2 children aged 4 and 1 and I am a full-time mother so would be at home full-time. Our daughter is due to start school next month.

SO - a few questions if you can help:

Weather - I am not great with humidity(!) so is it really hot and humid and for how long each year ?

Social life - We don't know anyone out there - is it easy to meet people - I guess easier when you have kids ? Are there lots of things to do with kids and is there much green space ?

Schooling - What are the schools like ? I guess there may be a great choice of ex-pat schools ?

Property - We currently live in a house with garden 10 minutes from Central London - Does this exist in HK ? I don't want to be abandoned in the suburbs but don't want to live right in the thick of things (not too demanding am I ?). Also, would it more likely be apartment or do family houses exist ?

If you have family - Do you love living there and is it the great opportunity that I think it is??

Guess these are my main initial concerns

Thanks in advance for any comments

LottieNancyB

it would all depend on how much $$$ your hubby is getting...how much housing allowance, how much for schools, if hte company will pay for a corporate debenture to ensure you can get into the school that you want...

HK is a small place. i live in what you would call "the boonies" that is, in DIscovery Bay... but even so, it's only 1/2 an hour from the thick of things by ferry!

it is FANTASTIC for raising kids...they're everywhere... i, personally have an 18 month old son with another bubs on the way next feb/march!
    it's great because it's so easy to meet others here, it's easy for the kids to get together and play. each little area has a playground. there are two clubhouses that you can join. there are tennis courts, ping pong tables, squash courts, bowling alley, swimming (indoor and outdoor) pools.

there's a beach (not so great for swimming, but great for playing at!)

it's got a real communitly feeling.

depending on your budget, you can get places with a garden for as little as $21,000/month(that's what we pay for 961' 3 beds, 2 baths + front AND back gardens) or up to over $100,000/month (5168' PLUS gardens!)

some people love it in DB and some hate it... i'm sure you can guess where i stand!

i've been in hk 11+ years and lived in almost every area there is. i can tell you honestly, with my kids, i would not want to live anywhere else!

yup HK is great for raising kids.

No chavs, A lot less crime than London. No worries about having your mp3 player and mobile phone on public display in the trains without the fear of being robbed like you would in London.

humidity is pretty bad though so be prepared for a lot of bad hair days.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    humidity is pretty bad though so be prepared for a lot of bad hair days.
    Bu humidity is good for your skin. People here have less problems with wrinkles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbybo:
    Bu humidity is good for your skin. People here have less problems with wrinkles.
    yes its good for the skin but not good for the hair unless you like afro's.

Is your husband's job going to be on HK Island?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    yes its good for the skin but not good for the hair unless you like afro's.
    That depends on the hair type. Anyway, we are off topic. It's my fault, sorry.

Sorry for the delay in replying - kids!

My husband's office would be off Connaught Road in Central.

LottieNancyB

Quote Originally Posted by LottieNancyB:
    My husband's office would be off Connaught Road in Central.
    Then Carang's DB is good and you might also consider Stanley and Repulse Bay areas. Although none of those are within 10 minutes of Central; probably all about the same half-hour.
    Going to have to decide on lifestyle versus commute time and weigh it all against your budget for housing. I know, not a very helpful answer, but there are so many choices in HK that it is really hard to nail them down.
    Do you get to come on a house-hunting trip?

and remember, when you take the ferry, there's no traffic to contend with...and time for reading the morning paper and a cuppa!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast