Are you happy here?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Are you happy here?

Just a simple question, checkin in with all of you.
    Are you content with your situation in HK? Why or why not?
    As a place for westerners, I think this place is quite suitable.
    Its not TOO foreign as to make things too difficult for us.
    Whats one of your favorite things about HK? Least favorite?

For me, one of the best things is the close access to nature: mountains, hiking trails, beautiful beaches and clear water (sai kung, check this place out if you havent) That makes me really happy sometimes. And Victoria Park, Hong Kong Park, and Kowloon Park are great getaways in the middle of busy areas, I always have picnics in those places. One of the things I am unhappy with is the mediocre presence of an organic/health food scene in groceries and restaurants. So how about you?

Red face

ya, hk is a good place too live. what i like is the ya scenary n good places to visit all around,n ya the fast travelling all places r like in ur reach.no need to have ur own car.
    n the bad thing is communication problem chinese is a difficult languege.
    n no good community relations between asians,there is a need to develope a community relations

can anyone tell me any good private gynee doctor in new terretories....

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

Wink are you serious?

Is that a rhetorical question?

But seriously, HK has a bit of both, good and bad. I suppose one of the advantages is the sheer convenience with with you can get anything done here (incl. the use of technology), the proximity of many essential services, easy availability of products, etc......

I suppose the only negatives could be housing, the cost of living, and..........maybe a little too much capitalistic, kitschy indulgence?

But then again, no place is perfect...(sigh!)

Smile Given the opportunity I’d stay here forever!!!

First let me start by saying, relocating to HK wasn’t easy. Now I’ve been here a while (almost 5 months) already, everything has become second nature. Adapting to the local life style, building a new group of friends was the easiest part and understanding Guangdonghua, well, needs a little more work but I can understand approximately 60-70% of what people say. Since being here I started to learn other languages, mainly Deutsch and Putonghua.

Living standards are slightly lower (not as low as the mainland) but it’s well balanced with the cost of living, in my opinion it’s fairly cheap, it’s not like England where everything is plus tax! Or have 17.5% tax included. Rent isn’t something I have to worry about, just building maintenance. I don’t know, maybe you people live either in Kowloon or HK Island. I believe it’s about 2-3 times higher there and apartment space is more limited. Suppose I’m luck some respects, as HK has always been my second home, now my first.

Since returning, I’ve visited the mainland several times; kind a helps if you have a China travel permit otherwise boarder crossing is $80 a pass. The only downside I have is the extensive amount of time wasted on traveling but at least I get to see the whole of China not just HK.

Air-pollution isn’t something I worry about, ha-ha! It’s clearer here than the Mainland of course. Every morning I wake up to the spectacular views of Tai Po Waterfront. On a clear day, I can see for miles, which is fantastic. Areas for recreation is provided, me, I’m a runner; the further, the better! Catch me if you can! If, given the opportunity I’d stay here forever!

Last edited by lazarus; 02-04-2004 at 02:16 AM.

aatchoo!

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus:
    Air-pollution isn’t something I worry about, ha-ha!
    hah-hah!
    cough-cough!
    splutter-splutter!
    (blows nose and rubs eyes trying to see through tears caused by the acrid, ppungent, all-enveloping lung-smiting smog [well, maybe I exaggerate a little])

glad you like HK though!

Well you’re on the subject of pollutions and stuff… there is something I haven’t quite gotten used to. It’s the quality of tap water, or lack of. Cold tap water taste awful, very metallic almost coppery! Especially when you’re brushing your teeth first thing in the morning. And cold boiled water… erm it’s not much better, still has an insanities look, maybe it’s me, but it seems to have a pale yellow colour. Anyone else noticed this?

Thank God there’s Evian. If anyone’s making money, it’s definitely not me but those bottled water companies. Mineral and Natural Spring water is so hard to find here, most of it is distilled tap-water!

Sorry to hear your boyfriend’s unhappy. I’m not a doctor, so I can only speak from experience. Usually if someone is unhappy, it’s more likely to be work related and stress than pollution. Air pollution can and will make you feel tired, irritated, cause dry skin and for those who are more sensitive, illness. Hmm…sounds more like he’s got a bit of depression than anything, has se ever had depression before? Well…I hope he’ll better about himself soon.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

This would be of particular interest to Lazarus and Jesvoyz
    While the water in honkers is cleaned and purified to high standards-all bets are off once it leaves the Water Dept's control. This effectively means when it enters your building's plumbing and particulary if you have water tank on the roof which hasn't been cleaned since C H Tung was a young whippersnapper.
    In this case of course the water should be purified/filtered before drinking. However there is one more factor which is often overlooked ; and that is energy in the water.
    Generally water which has been stagnant is not energised and drinking the stuff will not really quench you thirst.

This is where I have found the Aqua Vortex to be particularly useful- You pass your clean chilled water through this vortex and drink- Ahh truly refreshing and after regular use you will find your thirst being completly quenched and your are able to focus more clearly on lifes myriad problems.

Unfortunately the Aqua Vortex is not for sale here, though it is readily available via the net after the obligatory bout of googling.

Cheers
    KK

I'll stick to Evian... It's more portable.
    Water at work's great! It's clean with a sweet after taste. Could this be a Aqua Vortex? Or some guy adding flavoring somewhere up stream?
    Thanks a lot anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kombuchakid:
    This would be of particular interest to Lazarus and Jesvoyz
    While the water in honkers is cleaned and purified to high standards-all bets are off once it leaves the Water Dept's control. This effectively means when it enters your building's plumbing and particulary if you have water tank on the roof which hasn't been cleaned since C H Tung was a young whippersnapper.
    In this case of course the water should be purified/filtered before drinking. However there is one more factor which is often overlooked ; and that is energy in the water.
    Generally water which has been stagnant is not energised and drinking the stuff will not really quench you thirst.

This is where I have found the Aqua Vortex to be particularly useful- You pass your clean chilled water through this vortex and drink- Ahh truly refreshing and after regular use you will find your thirst being completly quenched and your are able to focus more clearly on lifes myriad problems.

Unfortunately the Aqua Vortex is not for sale here, though it is readily available via the net after the obligatory bout of googling.

Cheers
    KK
    it's realy hurt to read this unjustified nonsense. if you want to discuss with a chemist please leave your number here, otherwise edit your story please.

WD

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast