Under Suspicion?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Under Suspicion?

I recently went to a BEA branch to place a USD time deposit. Strangely, I was asked to provide proof of address, even though I already have an account with the bank (for which I provided the proof when opening). So I went home and made another trip with some proof of address. I had to wait for an amazingly long time at the teller's window before the deposit was placed. Later, I received a call from someone at the branch asking if I could also provide proof of address in a certain middle eastern country I had written under "place of birth." I told her it was absurd, I am a permanent HK resident and have not lived there since I was an infant. Then I was asked something even more stupid: "are you living with your mommy and daddy in Hong Kong?" I replied "umm, no. I'm not living with my mommy and daddy." Later, I received a voice mail from someone at the bank asking me to call them back urgently. This time, I was asked to supply my birth certificate. I told the lady that this was becoming very annoying and asked why there was a need for all this extra information. She giggled sheepishly, then fell silent. I asked her again and she said that someone else would call me back. The only explanation I can think of for all this stupidity is that I've somehow been flagged as a suspicious character. Does anyone know if there is some new policy behind this type of treatment?

Last edited by tictac; 12-08-2006 at 11:14 AM.

Wow, maybe they think you're trying to fund terrorism or something. It's now a global trend; they're monitoring financial transactions worldwide. You might well have been flagged as being suspicious. You weren't making a large cash deposit, were you?

i'd go in and demand to see the manager....

I was trying to start a time deposit with funds that were already in my savings account with the bank. This is what makes it seem even more stupid. You would think that perhaps withdrawing large sums would be suspicious, not committing them longer. Am I supposed to be plotting something, but seeking a higher interest rate in the meantime?

I think your best bet would be to put your treatment in writing saying you are very upset and send it registered post to the Chief Executive's office asking for an explanation of their behaviour.

See what they come back with. And then move to another bank if you are not satisfied with their explanation.

I have seen this happen in other banks of late. St Chart in TST is the worst.

Sadly some of these guys are so ignorant that they assume that anyone with a dark complexion is a potential terrorist. Several Indians I know constantly get treated badly by banks and especially at the customs/immi when they enter HK.

deleteduser

Just how it is these days I guess. Imagine what would have happened this week if the british police didn't put those suspects under surveillance since December? Who knows how many people would have died. Racial profiling is annoying for the innocent, but you could say it's a necessary step to keep people safe.

well, live with it.
    banks and financial institutions are told to check on anyone that forms certain profile.
    e.g. large cash deposit, from some non-compliance countries (which probably include macau because of their link with north korea), political linked person (e.g. sultan of malaysia)...

they are to check for authenticity of the person's transaction. make sure its not terrorist or money laundering related. different banks wld probably do it slightly differently, depending on the manager handling your case.

i suspect most places u go to going to treat u similarly...

My money was already with their bank. I was only looking to set up a time deposit. How does asking someone if they live with mommy and daddy, or seeing their birth certificate keep people safe -- is this how Scotland Yard busted the terrorist cell? I'm inclined to close this account and move my money out, but this might make me seem even more suspicious. Good to know it brings some people comfort though

The bottom line is you were "racially profiled"--a US UK export and not really innate to most HKers except as adapted through Western pop culture and movies. However for global security reasons, just consider it part of your duty to undergo the insensitivity. If it were for some other reason personally you should report it. They should have explained the reason for asking in the first place. Seems like BEA has no set policies and procedures manual for this type of situation and the sheepish giggle was unprofessional. I do think if you go back and start a scene they might mistakenly think you are a shady character and you could be shot by the security guard or something crazy. BTW let it go.

Last edited by Asian1; 12-08-2006 at 05:22 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast