Buying Electronics in HK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

prices are lower in US (California)

I second it.

I did my share of shopping around in both US and HK.

The prices of electronics are definitely lower in US especially in Calfornia and New York City than in US, with a few exceptions e.g. cell phones especially triband GSM phones. In US, we seldom buy our own phones because of the package deals provided by the vendors. But, in HK, you can get a brand new Nokia 3100 for less than $50 USD. I just got one from People with a $200 HKD rebate.

I bought a brand new 21" TV from Fortress a few weeks ago for $890 HKD, but I can get it for less than $100 USD from a lot of stores in Northern California with more features and better video/audio quality. The people in Fortress kept telling me that the $890 HKD TV was made in Turkey and they seldom carry any electronics made in China. I still don't know why. Man, in US most of the electronics from PCs to consumer electronics as well as small household appliances are from China directly or indirectly. Believe me, I just don't trust those so-called Made in Japan models anymore. I don't think they are really made in Japan afterall.

I live in israel, and planning on going abroad around mid august... here we always travel with the ipaq PDA 3715 with a GPS and a field navigator system, that way u don't get lost and know exactly your current situation, so I was thinking about buying one for australia, my flight lands for a few days in HK - that's y I got this idea... I still have time to buy online from Ebay or something and pay the extra 20$ for shipping, I just don't know what's the best buy, I heard the the GPS will be less expensive in HK, but the rest in the US...

Lightbulb Cameras

Hi,

you might want to try http://www.superexpress.com.hk/
    It can be interesting for you, they have a few references, but have good prices on them, and many have a U.S. warranty as they are for the american market.
    Cheers

Kris

where to by??

Im a tourist here in Hong Kong and i was thingking of buying a Sony PSP, before i leave here...

can you guys tell me were to buy a good unit and a good store to buy?

thanks in advance

There is a toy store chain called Toys 'R Us who sell it. They are very reputable and there is a refund policy if you have a problem. They are charging HKD 19xx for the value pack or HKD 22xx with a game included.
    I think Fortress sell it too but am not 100% certain.

Sony PSP
    you can also try the Sony Showroom in Mongkok. Be sure to test the unit well as dead pixels seem to be a common complaint.

There is a Sony showroom in the East Point Centre building, Causeway Bay. They also sell the PSP and its games. Very reputable and the same price as Toys 'R Us.

thanks guysss....

but plsss... can you tell me the exact address or telephone number of the stores??

im new here thats why...

The Sony showroom in the East Point Centre building is next to SOGO in Causeway Bay. Head for SOGO's main entrance which is at the apex of the building and noticeable by the 3,000 people waiting for friends. Then head west along Hennessey Road (towards Wanchai). The next office building you come to is the East Point Centre. Go through the glass doors into the lift lobby and take the lift on the left-hand side to the 16/F. for the Sony showroom. A lift button will be labelled Sony and I may be wrong about the floor.

I bought a PSP last week end, first went to the Sonystyle showroom in Causeway Bay. It was out of stock, and will be for afew weeks. Sony has this very intersting strategy of creating a fake rarity on their consoles, which are the same than the japanese ones avalaible all over the place, except u enjoy the HK warranty (I wonder when these companies Canon, Sony etc. will offer worldwide warranties, as we pay good price for their products and nowadays people move and travel no?). Anyway they kind of annoyed me when trying to make me believe that the HK PSP are made in Japan and the Japanese PSP are made in China (??).
    Toy's R us is out of stock too, the few places who have stock of the hk ones are the Sony VAIO store in Time Square ( They sell it 2680 HK$ with ape escape ! ) and a store in 188 Wan Chai Road ( around 2500 HK$ with 2 very bad games in Japanese ).
    I bought mine at 188 Wan Chai Road, but a japanese one, The deal was 1988 HK$ with one game ( you chose the game you want ).
    I bought at the 3rd floor, the shop in front of the stairs, the guys are cool, and actually have PSPs and play them, so they will give you real advice about it and the games, instead of just trying to make a quick sale.

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2