Buying Electronics in HK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Buying Electronics in HK

I'm moving to HK for the summer, and have been debating whether I should wait to buy a digital camera when I arrive. Will there be a significant price difference for electronics like digital cameras in HK?

Digital cameras, laptops and MP3 players are cheaper in Hong Kong than in the U.S. or U.K. We also have more advanced brands than in the U.S., because many products from Japan are marketed in Hong Kong first.

But as always, do not buy electronics in the tourist district, Tsim Sha Tsui. Shops there are often overpriced. Instead, go to the large chain stores, such as Fortress and Broadway, both have branches all over Hong Kong.

If you're already a bit of an electronics product guru who cannot be conned by counterfeit products, go to Mongkok for digital cameras and the most advanced mobile phone models. Go to Shum Shui Po for computer hardware and software.

I don't agree with buying from Fortress, a Canon Powershot A80 is HK$2950 there but HK$2650 in Wanchai computer centre, both with extra card.
    TST is a bad place to buy from, that's for sure.

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

To sum up, if you want the convenience, try Fortress or Broadway or even GOME (in Mongkok).

If you are knowledgable, try your luck in Mong Kok, or Sham Shui Po.

TST is a no-no. Those guys'll rip you off and you won't even know it!

Fortress is a waste of time, unless you're clueless.

Even the Stanley Street gangs offer cheaper prices than Fortress.

(We've bought from Stanley Street, Causeway Bay shops, Chungking shops and from Mongkok.. never been ripped off.)

Hi,

Do you want to buy second TV 43" and 26" size for your aparment.
    do you need to rent apartment,I have apartment in the clearwater bay road hong kong.

rosemary
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by mrjapples:
    I'm moving to HK for the summer, and have been debating whether I should wait to buy a digital camera when I arrive. Will there be a significant price difference for electronics like digital cameras in HK?

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, I'll def. avoid TST and do a lil techy homework before I buy.

hey, I was thinking about buying an ipaq (maybe the 3715) in hong kong + a GPS, without all the navigator software which I have...
    how much is that suppose to cost ? I'm on my way to australia and I was just summing the money I need...
    by the way, will this GPS bluetooth system will work in other places of the world such as the U.S ?
    thanks ! plz reply to my Email u possible...
    montag

Personally, I would buy the digital camera in the States. I find the prices lower there, especially from an online vendor (no sales tax) that offers the occasional discount and free shipping.

Lower prices?

I disagree with the "prices are lower in Hong Kong" statement. I have yet to find a single model of a digital camera in Hong Kong that I cannot find for a lower price than the US, and I've examined over 50 brands in my search for three cameras in the last year. In addition, the warranty in HK is usually HK or Asia specific, and for someone visiting this isn't exactly helpful.

Use a price comparison service in the US and you'll find a lower price there. In fact, some cameras and other electronics in HK are simply grey market US versions as you can buy them cheaper in the states and resell in HK for a slight profit (I've even see a Best Buy sticker on a few boxes in Wan Chai market). The size of the US market just pushes the price down in ways HK cannot match.

There are, however, a few more advanced things here, especially as it relates to cell phone cameras and PDAs. If that is what your are looking for, then definitely consider HK for your purchase.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast