Question about dehumidifiers

Closed Thread

Question about dehumidifiers

This may sound silly, but are you supposed to leave these on all day? If so, does that eat up your electric bill or is it pretty nominal? We just purchased one and love it, but are afraid to see the next electric bill. Thanks

you will hate this thing after reading your electric bill. since 8 years i survive without.

cheers

OK guys...this was NOT helpful.

agreed...maybe we should open a new board for stereotypes in HK...

brilliant deduction laz...all the westerner in HK probably do have lots of money...the poor ones can't afford to travel the world.

if anyone does have any information on dehumidifiers i'd love to hear the best practices...having lived in a desert the majority of my life i've had more experience with humidifiers than dehumidifiers.

Here's the deal. First of all, apologies for having allowed the trolls in.

We use the dehumidfier a fair bit at home, specially in the room where all our books and paper work is -- the impact is on the electric bill is not too significant. Think of the dehumidifier as insurance against mould and err .. humidity.

Also, do keep in mind, if you have the airconditioner on, you would not need a humidifier. At the end of the day, electricity is not that expensive in HK.

If you've budgetted around .50/.75/sq ft on electricity you'll be ok.

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

Talking

Here's the deal. First of all, apologies for having allowed the trolls in.
    Haha, shri,.....well said...

As for the dehumidifiers, they do put a 'dent' in your electric bill, but it's not that substantial.

Need something cheaper? Get portable dehumidifiers (chemical ones, i think) from those $10 shops and place a few of them in your room. They last for a week before you have to replace them. Not too bad, considering they retail for about $10-15 for packs of 3.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much! Those responses I find very helpful.