Dry Cleaning Questions!

Closed Thread

Dry Cleaning Questions!

I took some shirts to the local dry cleaner. Most conveniet being the closest as I dont like walking far in the heat and humidity.

Regarding shirts I asked for medium starch. These are business shirts and I have always gotten startch. The lady told me that they dont do starch. I asked if it was common not to starch in HK and she said you will find that to be the case? True? Charged $30 but $27 HKD if paid in cash. Overcharged??? Prices in the USA (Sand Francisco) are $1 US per shirt. What gives?

Run back home to avoid heat and find out about Clean Living. On their website they indicate the cost is $22. Nothing about starch though. Think I will go them next time as walk by all the time and dont know exactly what they do until now. Is CL any good? Doesnt look like a dive shop like the other ones but one cannot even tell they do dry cleaning given the small counter etc.

Thanks for any help you may provide.

Last edited by MotoHK; 18-08-2006 at 01:23 PM.

The counters are small, given that most of these shops will send the dry cleaning to a factory / larger establishment somewhere in the new territories for dry cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    The counters are small, given that most of these shops will send the dry cleaning to a factory / larger establishment somewhere in the new territories for dry cleaning.
    Thank you KIT. What about the starch?

Not common as far as I know ...

I think it's very uncommon on things that are being dry-cleaned, but less uncommon on things being laundered normally. I think dry-cleaning shirts is not that common here...

Thanks guys. They were shirts to be laundered. Everywhere I go in HK I have the MongKok rip off (get the expat or tourist for some $$) guard on partially due to what I read here!

So to clarify shirts athat are laundered are also not normally starched? Very interesting. What is the reason?

Laundry is normally done by the pound here not by the item... Many people then have a helper who irons the shirts. Mine does, and she applies some starch.