Living on a $7000 budget

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Living on a $7000 budget

How easy/hard is it to live on a $7000 budget in HK?
    That's about the money I'm going to have during my trainee period
    in HK.

I'm going to share flat in Kowloon. I think that's going to be
    up to $4000 including electricity/gas/water/internet.

Rest: $3000
    Needs: Food, transportation, clothing

Impossible? Hard? No problem? What do you guys say?

It's HK$100 per day. If you don't go to LKF or to bars every night you can make it. I eat noodles and vegetables when my family is not with me at shops for HK$15, so for the food it should not be a problem.
    You better not smoke otherwise money is not enough
    For clothing it's better your bring them from Germany. But there are brands like Giordano and Baleno that have affordable prices.

You'll stay where in Kowloon?

I was smiling thinking that there are people asking if 1 million HKD/year is enough for living in HK.

Altralazer, I wish you all the best! I know you are going to make it with no problem.

Hehehe thank you Bobbybo.
    Talking about going out, I indeed plan to go out sometimes, but not that often. And for that I've already checked park'nshop's website: beer from $2.9 / can, just like we do it here in Germany

Not that I'm smoking but I've heard that cigarettes are pretty cheap in HK?!

EDIT:
    Don't know, where I'm going to stay yet. I'll get to HK next week and stay in a hostel for the first few days;
    I'll have to find a flat when I'm there.

Last edited by altralazer; 19-08-2006 at 12:19 AM.

That's gonna be tough man. It can be done, but it most definitely won't be all that pleasant...

Quote Originally Posted by altralazer:
    Not that I'm smoking but I've heard that cigarettes are pretty cheap in HK?!
    I don't smoke, too. But from what I know cigarettes in HK are freaking expensive. More than HK$40 a pack. In China you can buy for CNY10 a pack.

In Yaumatei and Jordan food is quite cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    That's gonna be tough man. It can be done, but it most definitely won't be all that pleasant...
    He has to live as a local and not as an expatriate. HK$7000 is the salary of a 20-22yo local secretary in a small company.

I'm going to live there for two years.
    At least I'll have about $1000/month more with the beginning of my second year.

Could you guys tell me, where I can find other expats who are in the same situation? Say, I'm not lookin for pepz who can spend 2000 on a dinner, more for people like me, who'll buy a sixpack of beer and chill out together at home hehehe

Most important for me is going to be my training cuz' that's what is going to be important for my future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbybo:
    He has to live as a local and not as an expatriate. HK$7000 is the salary of a 20-22yo local secretary in a small company.
    The difference is that the local 20-22 yo secretary lives at home and doesn't have to budget $4000 for rent and utilities. They also eat many of their meals at home. Granted, most HK people will give money to their family...

...if you work overtime like everyone else till 8pm, you can probably claim back the takeaway dinner you ordered!

...if you work till very late then it could also be possible to claim back the taxi fare!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast