difference betwee amex platinum credit and amex platinum

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Newbee! Glad you made it to HK! I just went through the same thing! I applied for a Citibank card and it took more than 4 weeks to process even though I'm a PR. I just got the card on Friday. While waiting for the CIticard (and they were never able to tell me how long it would take to process), I applied for an Amex as well and they said it would take about 10 days to process. We shall see. I just faxed in application a week ago. I ended up paying almost everything by cash and visited the ATM machine almost daily or with my USD credit card.

I dont see why the card has to be local.

Quote Originally Posted by Asian1:
    I dont see why the card has to be local.
    Because if it isn't you'll pay 1.5-3% in exchange costs!

My experience ( a few years back now) was that HSBC were happy to give me a card as soon as they saw my employer pay some money into my bank account with them.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Because if it isn't you'll pay 1.5-3% in exchange costs!

My experience ( a few years back now) was that HSBC were happy to give me a card as soon as they saw my employer pay some money into my bank account with them.
    I didn't realise that until a friend told me the same thing with HSBC by then I already open my account with StandChart. Let's see if they'll give me a card. Applied for one when I opened my account with them

Quote Originally Posted by kmhtkmhtkmht:
    That is a charge they don't waive. Ever.

Why they charge it?

Why does Louis Vuitton charge $XXXX.XX for a bag... Same answer.
    LV gives me a neat-looking bag. The card is a card is a card Alas, a debate in itself

The Amex Black is a status symbol.

Despite widespread reports of how "available" it is - it still is pretty rare.

At Cannes, during the film festival, when checking in, the girl remarked that the Amex Black was her sixth of the day. When considering how many relevant people there are there during the film festival, that was quite a stunning statistic - of all the High Net Worth Individuals there are the film festival checking into that hotel of X rooms, only six rocked the Amex Black.

It still looks cool.

hmm, fyi guys, i just came back from the bank, and they gave me a visa right away even though i have only been here for less than a month (but have salary slip).
    Platinium and it's free as well!
    i think banks are wising up.

Quote Originally Posted by newbee:
    hmm, fyi guys, i just came back from the bank, and they gave me a visa right away even though i have only been here for less than a month (but have salary slip).
    Platinium and it's free as well!
    i think banks are wising up.
    Which bank please?!

my friends told me that banks in HK beg you to use their credit cards......free gifts stuff like that. shouldn't be that difficult to get one of them ?

AE is more commonly use in europe (may be in the states too ?) just like a visa/master card, retailers never bothered which card you use.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

a slight quibble

Quote Originally Posted by kmhtkmhtkmht:
    At Cannes, during the film festival, when checking in, the girl remarked that the Amex Black was her sixth of the day.
    You did not mention the number of people 'the girl' checked in that day who were 'beyond black'.

Say Deniro decides to do Cannes, do you seriously think he would walk up to the check in and flash his 'black'?

No I think all the hotels in town would be falling over each other, in offering their best suite for however long he wanted, just for the pleasure of his company.
    Now that is cool.
    The black is for the pretenious lot who think they are Deniro.
    I personally am quite happy with my plain vanilla plastic which would also get me a room at Cannes.