difference betwee amex platinum credit and amex platinum

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

in conclusion....the black card is for "wannabe DeNiros with a lot of Dinero"

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Gana Dinero

Quote Originally Posted by Max:
    in conclusion.... "wannabe DeNiros with a lot of Dinero"
    Wow that was mucho observant of you and it also shows that Bobby is big bucks no matter how one manages to mangle his name.

an interesting link for your troubles with the [now] obligatory GWB put down.

http://www.georgybush.com/gana.html

AMEX cards typically charge 1% over visa and mastercard. Some retailers absorb this charge. The benefits of the higher end AMEX cards are well worth the additional 1%. AMEX will transfer your membership to whichever country you relocate to without a need to re-apply unlike visa and mastercard. I have found mastercard to be as 'unpopular' as AMEX on occassions. The customer service from AMEX is without question better than anything the opposition has to offer - platinum or not.

well, unfortunately not for the singapore one. 8-P

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Because if it isn't you'll pay 1.5-3% in exchange costs!

My experience ( a few years back now) was that HSBC were happy to give me a card as soon as they saw my employer pay some money into my bank account with them.
    Same for me. Got it after 3 months of salaries on my account.
    I think it's almost too easy to get a CC in HK, just need to have some relationship with the bank first.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

so who sues who?

Quote Originally Posted by Max:
    ....the black card is for "wannabe DeNiros with a lot of Dinero"
    Proof Positive that our man jack lurks here.

from today's SUMP

Tired of his image as an all-action hero, Hong Kong film star Jackie Chan says he wants to be taken as seriously as American actor Robert De Niro
    In Venice for the premiere of his new film, Rob-B-Hood, the master of the choreographed fight compared how he was greeted by fans gesticulating and shouting wildly, whereas he imagined De Niro would command something closer to subdued awe.
    "When they see me it's `Ah, ah Jackie Chan'!" the actor said after the press screening of Rob-B-Hood. "I say, why does nobody say `Robert De Niro'?" he added, speaking in English and waving his arms about excitedly. "So I want to change, so that some day they say, `Wow, Jackie Chan'."

Contrary to what a lot of people say in these forum pages, it is possible to get a Hong Kong bank account AND credit card before setting foot in the country. I bank with HSBC, and called their international department whereupon they sent me a few forms which i signed and returned, and in about 2 weeks, they sent me (to my then London address) Hong Kong ATM and (Visa) credit cards. Once i got here, i just called, activated, and started charging.

As for getting an Amex Platinum CREDIT card... there is no point. The main benefit of an Amex charge card is that there is no pre-set spending limit. That is, if you want to go into a Porsche dealership, and put a Carerra on your card, then no problem, and proceed to run down both DeNiro and Chan. If you just want a credit card, then get a visa - its more widely accepted.

Bluetooth: it was all done on prior banking experience with the bank. If you do not have an overseas HSBC account in good and significant standing, you're going to get the run around here in HK for a month or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetooth:

As for getting an Amex Platinum CREDIT card... there is no point. The main benefit of an Amex charge card is that there is no pre-set spending limit. That is, if you want to go into a Porsche dealership, and put a Carerra on your card, then no problem, and proceed to run down both DeNiro and Chan. If you just want a credit card, then get a visa - its more widely accepted.

and actually this might not be true.
    depends on the country the card is being issued. i'm sure in singapore the limit is set to two months of pay or somewhere nearby. its the government regulatory that sets the limit and credit card or for that matter charge card companies have to follow.

What about a CC if you are a student? Hard to get?