my friend got robbed, what to do?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

150 Lbs. Suggest get back up to "fight weight" if he doesnt want this kind of thing to reoccur. Lucky for his sake it was a pick pocket instead of a straight up rob. Seems like and easy target and carrying that amount of dough in backpack is just not street smart. What did 5-0 say?

the BOC yin lian ke, or union pay, works at most all ATM's in HK now. he can use that if he's got one.

Fight Weight, Fist of Tyson etc. so what? You really think you should fight for some $$$?
    I understand that it's annoying to get robbed, actually I would be pissed, but does your life is not more worth than 10K? For somebody 10K is the salary of one week. So not worth to fight for it and get knife cuts or some internal injuries which definetaly will cost you more than 10K for fixing it in the hospital, or worse the lost of your life.
    In my experience, the robbers do not have any thing to lose. But you do.

By the way, the punishment for robbery is execution from what I understand. So if accusing someone be sure you have your data straight and IMO be sure you are safe from retribution whether they did it or not because it is a significant accusation. My guess is that is the reason the hotel manager is not cooperating. He probably knows it happened but is he going to take on that kind of risk for a stranger?

Last edited by Asian1; 22-08-2006 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleCamel:
    Fight Weight, Fist of Tyson etc. so what? You really think you should fight for some $$$?
    I understand that it's annoying to get robbed, actually I would be pissed, but does your life is not more worth than 10K? For somebody 10K is the salary of one week. So not worth to fight for it and get knife cuts or some internal injuries which definetaly will cost you more than 10K for fixing it in the hospital, or worse the lost of your life.
    In my experience, the robbers do not have any thing to lose. But you do.
    Appearance and demeanor is an effective deterrent. If engaged in a scuffle you more or less have to beat the heck out of the assailant.

Yes, that's true. I would think twice if first I have to get over a Schwarzenegger to get to the money. But only if I am alone and not with a gang of 5 or 6 companions hidden in the dark.
    Organized robbers or thieves seldom act alone they got back-ups.

This is not robbery. Robbery involves violence or threats of violence. Pickpocketing is deemed a much less serious offence.

yeah i dunno why it was known that he had money in his backpack but at least he kept some money and his IDs separate. i think it'd be hard to rob a guy who's 6'2 and 150lb. anyway he didnt seem to be phased about it at all. lucky his partner's friend was in town and shelled out the money he needed to process a wire transfer.. the pickpocket must be hella happy with 10K

Quote Originally Posted by beafan:
    yeah i dunno why it was known that he had money in his backpack but at least he kept some money and his IDs separate. i think it'd be hard to rob a guy who's 6'2 and 150lb. anyway he didnt seem to be phased about it at all. lucky his partner's friend was in town and shelled out the money he needed to process a wire transfer.. the pickpocket must be hella happy with 10K
    I guess your friend just got the money from the bank in Shenzhen and someone followed him down to HK. I know it is a long run but these kind of tactics are very common.
    We get these kind of incidents a lot in Mainland. You go to the bank. You withdraw a high amount of mony from your account. Someone is watching you and notify via cellphone his/her companion outside the bank.

Of course it is also possible that the pickpocket just got his lucky day.