Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MovingIn07
  • 1 Post By beachball

Direct buses between Midlevels Central, Kowloon Tong and Shatin?

Closed Thread
    Mr Cinema

Question Direct buses between Midlevels Central, Kowloon Tong and Shatin?

Hey there folks,

After a busy first year in HK, I've found that I prefer the calm of the buses (air conditioned buses, at least) to the bustling of the MTR.

As a post grad student at HKBU, I need to be on campus in Kowloon Tong on a regular basis. But I prefer to spend my free time and disposable income in the Midlevels Central area. My best friend here in HK lives in Shatin, so I'd like to be able to hang out with him conveniently on his turf, on a regular basis as well.

So the question, naturally, is this: What is the most direct way to travel between the places I enjoy, i.e. Soho, Kowloon Tong and Shatin?

So far, my best bet seems to be the KMB 182, which travels between Shatin and the Macau Ferry (further than I need to go, but I appreciate the options offered by this long and direct, air conditioned bus route).

Could I do better than the 182? Or, is there another, single journey bus between my areas of choice?

I don't mind sitting on the bus for an hour or even an hour and a half at a time. But I am averse to changing buses. So a single journey (air conditioned) bus, however slow it might be, would be ideal.

Nick

PS - I might as well add (as you're now familiar with my stomping grounds) that I'm presently looking for a new place to live, with a nice kitchen and bathroom, with a budget of up to 11K per month. I'm open to the idea of living along the 182 in Shatin or Kowloon, though I seriously doubt that I'll find a livable place for 11K anywhere near the Midlevels Central part of HK island. As I'm living alone and don't plan on having flatmates, Any advice?

Last edited by Mr Cinema; 27-07-2010 at 09:59 AM.

Have you tried looking on ypmap? You can put in two locations and it will give you options between the two. It's abit of a pain to use, if it fails the first time, try a different browser!

Also, there is a little book you can buy in 7-11 stores called 'HK Transport Map' (or something similar). It's slimmer than A5 (A6?) and it contains every single bus, MTR, ferry etc route in HK. It's also in Chinese. However, once you get the hang of it, you can figure out where buses go by looking at the maps and following the little arrows which mark every single bus stop and which buses stop there. I found it very useful when I first moved here as, like you, I MUCH prefer the bus!

A quick look on ypmap seemed to give numerous options that started with the 103 followed by the 170. You'd have to look more closely at the details to see if they suit.

Last edited by MovingIn07; 27-07-2010 at 09:55 AM.
    Mr Cinema likes this.

This should be even better.
    Mr Cinema likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by beachball:
    This should be even better.
    Certainly easier to use than ypmap. Does not include the red public light minibuses though - that book I mentioned is the only place I have ever found details of those!