What to do with broadband service if it doensn't cover my new flat?

Closed Thread

Unhappy What to do with broadband service if it doensn't cover my new flat?

I've signed a 18-month contract with i-Cable before, and it still got 14 months left. But starting from Sept I'm about to move into the new flat, which i-Cable said its network doesn't cover. I think the reasonable way to solve the problem is that i-Cable terminate the contract, but their customer service said i'll have to pay for all the outstanding 14 months' fee if i do that. I found it greatly unreasonable as I am not supposed to take responsibility for their failure to cover the house i'm going to live in. And I couldn't find a friend who is currently not using any broadband service to whom i can give the service to. What should I do? Any one been there before?

I'd ask the consumer council if there is anything that can be done ..

http://www.consumer.org.hk/website/ws_en/

They might have some precedents / knowledge of laws on hand which might be able to help in your situation...

thanks a lot Mr KnowItAll...

sorry to learnt this though i have experienced this thing before and exactly after 6 months of a 18 mts contract I had to move into a new flat w/o i-cable and in my case, I have already paid upfront for 18 months in VISA and cant do anything.

The most disgusting part is I had their crap Cable modem and once asked their CS to come and collect the cable and they never replied back and suddenly i've seen a debit of HK$1500 and once inquire from their Accounts dept, the answer was I was keeping the modem and they had to debit my credit card.

Further, annoyed by this, I did contacted the big bosses at Wharf Holdings which is the parent of I-cable and then they re-imburse by $1500 after deducting $300 for keeping the cable modem.

NEVER EVER use these MORONS though they may give a package of less than $100 though service is crap and CS is moved to China and service is not even good for a african banana republic.

unfortunately their good friends over at PCCW may not be much better.

do we have any other options tho? what happened to HGC, they're so quiet.

azure lily, that is unreasonable but also how corp's get at your money. you need to understand the only reason they fathom is the bottom line. yes, you should contact the consumer council and also try to talk to the bank about blocking the credit card you gave them.

to danhk:
    your experience seems appalling to me! now i have below zero faith in these people. and i guess i do need to keep an eye out on that cable modem matter.

to cerberus:
    i was thinking of using PCCW at the new house -- hope it may work out better.
    i have already written to the consumer council and hope i get some response.
    is there anyway to block the auto-transfer without cancelling my card though?

thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by azurelily:
    to danhk:
    your experience seems appalling to me! now i have below zero faith in these people. and i guess i do need to keep an eye out on that cable modem matter.

to cerberus:
    i was thinking of using PCCW at the new house -- hope it may work out better.
    i have already written to the consumer council and hope i get some response.
    is there anyway to block the auto-transfer without cancelling my card though?

thanks everyone
    Keep us posted. I fell into their trap as well and is eager is there is a way to come out of it.

I wonder what will they do if I stop paying them. The amount is too small the be passed to debt collection agency or to sue me in court.

there's not much they can do if you stop paying them, aside from not letting you reconnet should you want that somehow...

azurelily, i reiterate, PCCW isn't viable as an internet provider, the service is too erratic and doesn't maintain constant speeds.

plus, customer service is probably the same as what you're used to from everyone else.

maybe you should consider HGC. if someone could write in and tell us how those people are, that would be nice.

Don't kid yourself that the amonunt is too small to have them come after youi.......I was haunted by a phone company for months and months because they over charged m e for long distance and for China roaming when I was never in China. It was only 300.00 hkd

Companies like PCCW and HGC normally have written in to their contracts that if you move and they don't cover the area you are moving into you can cancel the service with no further fee. Certainly worked when I had to cancel an HGC contract for that reason, which was a shame as I have had to put up with PCCW for the last year with their poor reliability, much slower speeds and higher expense. I'm surprised that i-Cable don't have the same provisions written into ther contracts. I think the consumer council may have something to say about it.