Hourly rate for Java professionals

Closed Thread

Hourly rate for Java professionals

What is the typical per hour rate for a Java programmer having 4/5 years experience in HK working as a consultant?

Thanks!!!

If its Java applets ... peanuts.

If you're a J2EE type guru (i.e. you can architect a solution) with relavant server side experience with BEA WLS or IBM WAS we've seen charges upto about US$1000/day (quoted corporate billing) in HK.

Your experience also matters, financial services (brokerage etc) can add to ones value.

Its like asking "how much can a writer with 4 to 5 years experience make" the usual answers are .. "what can he write", "what has he written", "is it any good"...

Work will be core Java stuff, no J2EE. I am asking because I have no idea about th epayments here. Is 10-15USD/Hour OK if working in telecommuing mode?

In other words what's the equivalent of 25USD/Hour in HK?
    Thanks!

hmm... exchange rate at what?

Shoot for HK$250/hour...

On a related note, how much can a IT help desk person with good English skills make annually in $US? The reason I ask is I may want to move to HK from the US to start a career. However, I just graduated from college and have 1 year in help desk support experience. Also, my Cantonese isn't all that great. The reason for the possible move is to get my foot in the door in Asia, where I believe has the most potential for growth. I'm currently getting paid US$15 an hour doing help desk in an ms network. What can I expect in HK, if any? Any advice or tips greatly appreciated. Thanks

ps: i already have a place to stay in hk, but i'm not a hk resident.

Not much to be honest as an entry level person you will need cantonese.

Also, a lot of help desk traffic is moving to India, China and the Phillipines.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Still, much of it still gets done in HK and someone from Amex or Citi credit cards, for instance, who speaks reasonably good English does have some value (and some of them happen to be solely English speakers, i.e. not bilingual, and the language preference indicated in menu/customer profile takes you to one of them if you're lucky). However, I have no idea about their pay levels.

HKFella -- They're usually either experienced folks or hired under the influence of the lord nepot.

FYI, About 90% of Amex's calls end up in Gurgaon, India.

I would really not encourage someone with a years experience on a help desk to move to Hong Kong and expect to get a work visa.