Like Tree9Likes

Fleet Arcade in Wanchai

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Do you know if the book/magazine store open to the public or just visiting Navy personnel?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Do you still need a Fleet card, or am I hopelessly out of date?

Anyone is welcome.

Anyone is welcome to use any facility at Fenwick Pier, irrespective of whether they have a Member card wich is free (such card isrequired by HKG for unknown reasons!). Joining to get such free card needs only your contact details and you'll be put on the contact list for AGM etc. In the next few years the building will be refurbished to have more F&B outlets and an exterior that will be iconic.

Claire ex-ax and penguinsix like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoky Joe:
    Anyone is welcome to use any facility at Fenwick Pier, irrespective of whether they have a Member card wich is free (such card isrequired by HKG for unknown reasons!). Joining to get such free card needs only your contact details and you'll be put on the contact list for AGM etc. In the next few years the building will be refurbished to have more F&B outlets and an exterior that will be iconic.
    Except when they close it down when a big fleet arrives.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app

Thanks for the info, Smoky Joe.

Even when a carrier group is visiting, anyone with a SGA member card (the free one) and HKID or passport can still enter

Remember visiting the old Fleet House when the US fleet was in. The place was packed but the sailors were very polite, making room for me to walk through the crowded corridor (I think they were waiting for phones or something).

I think the website has changed from my old bookmark(?). http://fenwickpier.org/main/?p=new_page_2.htm

Fun! I'll have to visit and see if there are any good books.

I used to work nearby at CITIC Tower, and we sometimes went into Fleet Arcade for lunch at Quarterdeck. I could never understand how the empty little shops on the ground, first and second floors ever made money - there was rarely anyone else in there. And the newsagent, hidden away on the second floor? Bizarre, even if it apparently has slightly cheaper prices for magazines!

Do people make the effort to get to this out-of-the-way place for dusty old stores selling out-of-date computer hardware, grimy tailor and jewellery stores etc? Or do the shops rely almost solely on trade from visiting servicemen, and otherwise do virtually no business?