Crikey! Steve Irwin killed while on shoot

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

What are we Aussies going to do without the Crocodile Hunter??!!

Bottom of the ocean

One of the best nature presenters .... gone.....
    After all the rummors about his death over the years, I guess it had to happen finallly.
    Rest in peace.
    We'll miss him.
    Actually, feel sorry for his kids really.

Very sad - feel very sorry for his small children.

Last edited by JBest; 04-09-2006 at 04:42 PM.

I believe he had toned it down over the last few years...the stingray isn't a mean animal when compared with some of the other things he has messed with before. Just a freak accident...but a costly one.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by tx75070:
    How does a sting ray barb go through ones chest?

I agree, that must have been one mighty ray as the barbs aren't that long on a stringray. Sounds like a bit of poetic licence. Doesn't change the fact that it is a terrible thing.

I will never be able to watch "Wiggly Safari" again without feeling sad.

I'm not shocked. When you live on the edge, you fall off eventually. He most certainly lived, rather than just existing. At least he died doing something he loved.

ok, according to the UK times it was a strike 'to' the chest as opposed to 'through' the chest.

But even so, as a keen scuba diver I had no idea this sort of thing could happen. In the leg followed by immense pain yes - but in the chest and then your dead. Totally unexpected and shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekkerhead:
    ok, according to the UK times it was a strike 'to' the chest as opposed to 'through' the chest.

But even so, as a keen scuba diver I had no idea this sort of thing could happen. In the leg followed by immense pain yes - but in the chest and then your dead. Totally unexpected and shocking.
    I'm guessing that if he was scuba diving there was pressure inside the lungs + piercing by barb = huge depressurisation and coronary.

i just read another article which said he was filming bull stingrays whose barbs can be up to 20 cm long. I guess that would do a lot of damage wouldn't it?

I guess the video will be on youtube soon...