If your Chinese, How proud are you?

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

I'm proud to be Chinese. Whenever people ask me if I'm Japanese, the answer is always Chinese, even though I know they'll lose interest. I'm proud to be bilingual, and trilingual to a certain extent. I'm proud of my limited Chinese cultural and medical knowledge, better than none. I'm happy to see China becoming a world nation, even though I will continue to criticize about the bad people and bad things in it. I'm proud to have a SAR passport instead of a British Hong Kong passport. Please excuse my bragging.

Quote Originally Posted by bbc_guy:
    It's all just misplaced perception of your worth from 'belonging' to a certain group.

If I had a saying to sum up patriotism, it would be this: to be patriotic is to be idiotic.
    Teehee, very succinct, bbc guy. Be proud of your achievements, not your DNA.

I feel no pride for being vaguely European by accident of birth. Handy passport, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromgrev:
    Teehee, very succinct, bbc guy. Be proud of your achievements, not your DNA.

I feel no pride for being vaguely European by accident of birth. Handy passport, though.

Can agree totally about the passport thing.

I'm an ABC- Aussie Born Chinese.

An Aussie passport is a pretty decent one, and an Aussie was, prior to John Howard f*ing everything up, a pretty neutral and harmless creature.

As for being proud, well, I'm more proud of being an Aussie, but also of being an Asian/HK/Chinese, but with no connection with Mainland China.

I dont connect with Mainland China since neither of my parents were born there, and I speak a different dialect and language (English is my first language), and I find the country rather backwards, both in economy (I know, changing), behaviour and general ambiance.

For example, they have no style.

Compare them to HK, Japan and Korea- much better sense of hair, clothing and make up.

It's not just China. I dont think Singapore is very sophisticated either.

ok, I'm ready for the Pro China backlash

Quote Originally Posted by dropdedfwed:
    yawn

get over it... seriously. these things happen the world over. you're not going to change the world by whining about it. this is not being constructive.
    OK, this is why the massacre like 1989 Tiananmen Square incident still happening in China because we should "get over it... seriously. these things happen the world over. you're not going to change the world by whining about it. this is not being constructive"

Quote Originally Posted by duecustard:
    OK, this is why the massacre like 1989 Tiananmen Square incident still happening in China because we should "get over it... seriously. these things happen the world over. you're not going to change the world by whining about it. this is not being constructive"
    okay...thats a bit of a leap to link people discriminating against each other, with the government using military power to suppress a public protest...

anyway, the original poster was simply asking "Are you proud to be Chinese" given that fact that so many HK'ers look down their noses at their mainland BROTHERS and SISTERS (and yes it happens everywhere, but this is a HONG KONG forum!)...whether they are squatting in the street or hawking up a loogie or not...and forget that idea that mainlanders have no style...it's more that rural people (who make up the majority) may not feverishly follow the latest trends like their city dwelling neighbors (this is a fact in every country on Earth)...is this a reason to think less of them? They may have more important things to worry about than their Gucci handbag and Manolo shoes...like surviving another day in a coal mine, or where the money for their kids school fees in going to come from...

well,

being living in hk for 2nd year, I also found some of the HK people do not like to mix with other south-east nationals.

one example is my friend who is a Singaporean chinese. She cant speak cantonese well so she got to speak english to her colleague. In the end she told me her colleague complained that she act up and purposely speaks english to show off and her HK colleagues are very reluctant to let her join the group during weekends outing.

I also read some HK people complaints about their indonesia chinese colleague with the remarks that they are very proud of themself and not able to work as good them(HK).

My personal experiences was, I was having some old University mate in HK.There was time when they introduce me to their friends in HK, it was all fine until they knew I am From Singapore and start giving comments that Singapore people have attitude problem, always like to speak english.

Could it be the reason that most overseas chinese here end out onlyu mix with expats in HK?? is Chinese but they treat other overseas Chinese just like enemy?? Why?

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location
    Quote Originally Posted by duecustard:
    I was trying to be sarcastic, man!
    touche, my friend....so was I.

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

and that is exactly where this thread is heading. ....

most of the problems mentioned here about 'discrimination' are brought about by only one thing: IGNORANCE.

the solution can be summed up in two words: EDUCATION and EMPATHY.

I think it's about time KiA closed this thread down to prevent things from degenerating any further.

Quote Originally Posted by Max:
    I think it's about time KiA closed this thread down to prevent things from degenerating any further.
    hey Max (aka Zippy), i've been hinting this for a week, and all i have gotten is people telling me how they are going to wipe racism into oblivion by bringing it into the open on this totally radical, original and unprecedented thread..

some thoughts about rose coloured glasses come to mind..
    Last edited by dropdedfwed; 24-01-2006 at 05:50 PM.

Those threads never go anywhere most of the time so...