If your Chinese, How proud are you?

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12
    Mat

Those threads never go anywhere most of the time so...

Quote Originally Posted by links
    well, being living in hk for 2nd year, I also found some of the HK people do not like to mix with other south-east nationals.
    one example is my friend who is a Singaporean chinese. She cant speak cantonese well so she got to speak english to her colleague. In the end she told me her colleague complained that she act up and purposely speaks english to show off and her HK colleagues are very reluctant to let her join the group during weekends outing.
    Could it be the reason that most overseas chinese here end out onlyu mix with expats in HK?? is Chinese but they treat other overseas Chinese just like enemy?? Why?
    I don't see how much better Singaporeans get along with other SE asians. When I talked with the Malaysians and Indonesians in Singapore, they always told me the same thing. i.e the Singaporeans have attitude problem and think they are better than their Asian counterparts and always appear to be more friendly to western people.
    When I told the locals that I was about to relocate to HK, almost all of them, no matter they have or haven't been here, started to tell me how dangerous and chaotic HK is, how rude the people are, that HK is one big outdoor wet market. What they didn't know is I have worked in HK for a year before already.
    I don't have any major issue with the Singaporeans and do have a few close friends from there, but if they try not to picture their country as a heaven without its own problem, others may find it easier to deal with them. Nowadays, if I hear a comment about HK from a Singaporean, I don't really take it seriously. What language you use to communicate with the locals is one thing, how you communicate and what kind of comments you make is another thing. There are more reasons why someone is unwelcome than just the language and nationality issue.

see..?

if i put those glasses on these posts might begin to make the world seem so much nicer... yes?

oohhhh yaaahhh

Last edited by dropdedfwed; 24-01-2006 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by p800hkg
    I don't see how much better Singaporeans get along with other SE asians. When I talked with the Malaysians and Indonesians in Singapore, they always told me the same thing. i.e the Singaporeans have attitude problem and think they are better than their Asian counterparts and always appear to be more friendly to western people.
    When I told the locals that I was about to relocate to HK, almost all of them, no matter they have or haven't been here, started to tell me how dangerous and chaotic HK is, how rude the people are, that HK is one big outdoor wet market. What they didn't know is I have worked in HK for a year before already.
    I don't have any major issue with the Singaporeans and do have a few close friends from there, but if they try not to picture their country as a heaven without its own problem, others may find it easier to deal with them. Nowadays, if I hear a comment about HK from a Singaporean, I don't really take it seriously. What language you use to communicate with the locals is one thing, how you communicate and what kind of comments you make is another thing. There are more reasons why someone is unwelcome than just the language and nationality issue.
    Perhaps some other from my land having attitude problem, but not me. infact ppl here dont know I am not HK local as I speak good cantonese. Just a previous case made me unhappy because all the while I was alright with the group of newly made HK friends until they knew I am from SG and stop talking to me. Well maybe thats only some of the ppl are like that.

Feel better to meet those expats around.

pdx

Quote Originally Posted by dropdedfwed
    hey Max (aka Zippy), all i have gotten is people telling me how they are going to wipe racism into oblivion by bringing it into the open on this totally radical, original and unprecedented thread..
    You're looking in the wrong place if you expect any thread on a forum to wipe out racism. Sarcasm doesn't help, either.

Talking about problems, even when things get uncomfortable, is a start. That doesn't mean that everyone who is ignorant will change overnite, or that some people will ever see the light. Expecting that would be wearing rose-colored glasses, just like hoping that racism will lessen if we avoid talking about it altogether.

It's up to KIA and his team whether they wanna continue this thread, of course. But I think it's interesting to note that all the threads that have contained racist comments sound interchangeable; you could switch the races in the comments and the negative stuff could apply to rude/crude people of other races. I would urge people who've thought negative thoughts about other races to really consider that. Racism is a problem that can be tackled only person by person.

Discussions about race sound old because racism probably began with humanity. But people have the potential to learn at any point in their lives, even if it's a lesson that they might have heard but not embraced before.

In any discussion about race, you run the risk of people getting ugly. But you also get honesty online that you wouldn't elsewhere. With honesty and discussion, you're more likely to make headway.

Again, if you're bothered by this thread, it's easy to avoid it altogether and just read the fun threads.
    Last edited by pdx; 25-01-2006 at 03:20 AM.

I typed "proud chinese" on yahoo search. Again, this thread ranked No.2.

Quote Originally Posted by pcsmff
    Basically, Hong Kong Chinese, especially the rich, will do anything to cut ties with their Chinese heritage. Even to the point where they want to buy whitening cosmetics to avoid looking too Asian.
    At risk of having my membership suspended, they are arrogant, self-centrered and seem to have some miseducated view that they are above everyone else. They typify everything that is bad about Hong Kong, greedy, arrogant and looking out for number 1. They would not help anyone unless there was something in it for them. Having travelled extensively around China, it is clear that the Hong Kong Chinese are the most obnoxious and dislikeable people from any part of China - and thats the problem YOU ARE PART OF CHINA - LIVE WITH IT! (Of course you disagre with me, but is my opinion and I am entitled to it!)
    it's the other way around. the poor are the ones who discriminate against mainland chinese. the rich are the ones who worship them.

women do whitening not because they want to look less asian or more white. it's because it's chinese standard of beauty of being submissive and light (the staying at home type of women).

personally, i think most chinese are lighter than most whites. but it's different. chinese/japanese/koreans tend to be snow kinda white and white people tend to be pale or sometimes pink/brown.

chinese people are very proud of being chinese biologically and genetically and many of them think that they are smarter than all other races including the europeans genetically, which is true to a certain extend as the population of hong kong has the world's highest iq per capita.

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12