If your Chinese, How proud are you?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong or Brazil
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by reei
    now i know why.. my opinion differs from most of you. i don't know any hong kong people that are rich.. that's why! )
    I think there are two kinds of Hong Kong people :
    -Pure local and;
    -Internationally local.
    According to my own experience, people from different group behave differently.
    For example, when I first meet a pure local people, normally, they would only ask where do you live and what do you do. However, whereas a "Chinese with Western thinking" people(which most of them have studied abroad), they usually start a conversation by asking where were you from, what subject are you studying or things like that.
    Has anybody faced something similar? Agree? disagree?

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13

    Totally Agree

    Hi pcsmff, I absolutely, totally agree with you!!!!!!!!!!!


  3. #23

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    hung hom
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by pcsmff
    (Of course you disagre with me, but is my opinion and I am entitled to it!)
    everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    ptolemy, the great egyption astromer, once said. 'the earth is the center of the universe'.. we all know how true that is. even ptolemy was wrong.
    too much of stereotyping is not healthy.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Btn JP & UK
    Posts
    187

    Hmm... This thread gets more interesting as time goes on. I like to hear more opinions from people... It's all very interesting stuff, especially if the information given here, can help each of us to get-along with other's better!


  5. #25

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8

    Hi,

    I was born in Hong Kong but imigrated to Canada when I was 3. As far as I'm concerned, discrimination is everywhere, whether it is against race, religion, sexuality or gender. In some countries, such as Canada you just see less of it because people hide it within themselves because society dictates that they do. As for Hong Kong people appearing more rude, I dont think that's really true, I think it's just the way they talk in thier society. I have a few friends who have only recently imigrated from Hong Kong, and I too have seen them slowly conform to Canada's society which dictates politeness, and human rights, and alot of other rights. It should also be taken into consideration that Hong Kong is more messed up in thier economy because of the British rule vs the China rule. Messed up economies cause people to be a little less friendly and more bitter. In this world, dispite all those who have said money doesn't matter, it does when you want to eat.


  6. #26

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    hung hom
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Chandelier
    In this world, dispite all those who have said money doesn't matter, it does when you want to eat.

    The way u put it is really funny, but very true.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location
    Posts
    2,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Chandelier
    Hi,

    I was born in Hong Kong but imigrated to Canada when I was 3. As far as I'm concerned, discrimination is everywhere, whether it is against race, religion, sexuality or gender. In some countries, such as Canada you just see less of it because people hide it within themselves because society dictates that they do. As for Hong Kong people appearing more rude, I dont think that's really true, I think it's just the way they talk in thier society. I have a few friends who have only recently imigrated from Hong Kong, and I too have seen them slowly conform to Canada's society which dictates politeness, and human rights, and alot of other rights. It should also be taken into consideration that Hong Kong is more messed up in thier economy because of the British rule vs the China rule. Messed up economies cause people to be a little less friendly and more bitter. In this world, dispite all those who have said money doesn't matter, it does when you want to eat.
    Sorry, but I disagree. The need to "eat" does not necessarily dictate behavior and attitude. There are many examples of other countries I could use to debunk your suggestion. The appearance of people being more rude is due to the fact that it is so ingrained in the local culture. You could say it may have been brought on by the economic conditions in HK, but you fail to see that its the same people who created this so-called "messed-up economy" in the first place!

    Two words, humility and concern,....if HKers genuinely show some of these qualities then it wouldn't be as bad as many people think it is.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    hung hom
    Posts
    156

    some people from overseas, stay a couple of years in hk, and think they know all they need to know about hk people. ignorant, rude, buy whitening products to look less like a chinese.. so on, and so forth. i wonder which country they come from and if they have only angels in their country. before u start criticising, judging people from another country, dare u to tell us , which country u come from and see if u r all angels. the population of hk is nothing less that 5.9million. say u know 500 hk people personally, i mean by their name, and u know them so well, that judging them in anyway, won't make u feel like 'judging a book by its cover'.. that is only 0.008% of hk population. even if u know that 0.008% of hk population really well, does it make sense to imply that all hk ppl are like that?
    perhaps i can say that westerners who get sun tan are trying to look less like a westerner?


  9. #29

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location
    Posts
    2,078
    Quote Originally Posted by reei
    some people from overseas, stay a couple of years in hk, and think they know all they need to know about hk people. ignorant, rude, buy whitening products to look less like a chinese.. so on, and so forth. i wonder which country they come from and if they have only angels in their country. before u start criticising, judging people from another country, dare u to tell us , which country u come from and see if u r all angels. the population of hk is nothing less that 5.9million. say u know 500 hk people personally, i mean by their name, and u know them so well, that judging them in anyway, won't make u feel like 'judging a book by its cover'.. that is only 0.008% of hk population. even if u know that 0.008% of hk population really well, does it make sense to imply that all hk ppl are like that?
    perhaps i can say that westerners who get sun tan are trying to look less like a westerner?
    reei, just who exactly are you directing your criticism to?

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    hung hom
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Max
    reei, just who exactly are you directing your criticism to?
    i am directing my criticism to an australian in australia, who after met a few italians and greeks, claim that all italians and greeks are good for nothing , big liars. (and i just mean, this particular australian guy, not all australians).
    i am directing my criticism to foreigners in hk.. and i mean some foreigners, not all, who after met a few hong kong chinese.. claim that ALL hong kong people are rude , obnoxious.. , ashamed to be associated with mainland china.
    i am directing my criticism to malaysians, who claimed that hk people are bloody rude. turn around and ask them how many hong kong people do u know? don't be surprised if they said 'none'. many of these people have never even been to hong kong.
    basically, i am directing my criticism to people that judge others based on their nationality.
    these comments are uncalled for and many people do not deserve to be 'labelled' that way.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast