If your Chinese, How proud are you?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

and there is also a significant number of gweilos who look down on chinese..
    and there is also a significant number of indonesians who hates chinese...
    and there is also a significant number of australians who hate asian immigrants...
    and the list goes on...

Quote Originally Posted by reei:
    and there is also a significant number of gweilos who look down on chinese..
    and there is also a significant number of indonesians who hates chinese...
    and there is also a significant number of australians who hate asian immigrants...
    and the list goes on...
    Glad that you are aware of it, reei!
    Was just fearing that people might think it's not true of cases like what Mat has described earlier.

Yeah it is true...be proud guys..there is nothing to be ashamed of....

the other day, i attended this 'customer service' workshop provided by my company. the instructor was saying appearance is very important. you don't want to look like a mainland chinese right? the way they dress is so weird. i felt so offended. though i know there is a significant number of hk chinese who look down on mainland chinese.. but i never expect a 'professional' trainer to say this in her workshop. needless to say, i didn't like it and didnt think i can learn much from a workshop conducted by someone like that.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo:
    I'm a Singaporean Chinese who speaks fluent mandarin. When I speak mandarin, Hkers take me for a mainlander. From my personal experience, they definitely do look down on mainlanders.

My boyfriend is a white australian. The locals stare on us on the streets, trust me, very rude unpleasant stares. I felt very degraded. I hate their narrow minded views and would love to walk up to the next person who does that to ask them why.
    You can try to speak up with your singlish then they will know you are not mainlander.

If you travel to more countries and observe more about what mainland chinese people's behaviour . You will not proud of being a chinese. Doesn't matter many MBA, NBA, ABBA or OBA they have!

Lightbulb discrimination

Discrimination is everywhere and it comes in different forms: race, religion, gender, education, social/economic status, etc, etc. You cannot take that away. Its a personal choice. The level of discrimination varies in different countries depending on what the society dictates and the social awareness that the people posses. The United States is a free country, the society dictates that discrimination is wrong but we can never take away personal hate and disgust among other people. Its just a pattern that we have to follow. US' being a "free country" doent just came in an instant. These has to be transition. It takes a very long time to make this happen. Hong Kong doesnt have that luxury, YET. Its only been eight years! But we dont have to wait that long to achieve the social awareness that other cinzen enjoy. Now its a different context. The world is becoming smaller. We have the technology and the liberal ideas of the expats and other people in Hong Kong. Why complain? and blame one another? The key here is acceptance. Face reality. Discrimination is all around us and it exists is different form. There are many ways we could help. For once try not to think foy yourselves only. Simple things would help. I've seen some questions here on what should be studied: mandarin or cantonese? Some may prefer cantonese (if your in Hong Kong primarily) because of convenience. Why not study mandarin? Aside from being the common laguage of China, we should prefer to study mandarin to, somehow, establish its significance to the local Hong Kong people.

Manner

I agree.I am from Hong Kong and i really dislike mainlanders. It's all about their manner. I know they are very rich but manner means a lot. Look at the state of their clothes. Leggings with grey socks (white). Speak Loudly, pushing in the queue, spitting. I really dislike their manner. Wear suits on vacation!! I want to know why too!! crouching on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by chillifontain:
    I agree.I am from Hong Kong and i really dislike mainlanders. It's all about their manner. I know they are very rich but manner means a lot. Look at the state of their clothes. Leggings with grey socks (white). Speak Loudly, pushing in the queue, spitting. I really dislike their manner. Wear suits on vacation!! I want to know why too!! crouching on the street.
    interesting comment from a hong konger....I could easily change the 2nd sentence to 'I'm from Canada and I really dislike (SOME) hong kongers...' If you think PRC's are the only ones speaking loudly, pushing in the queue, (don't even mention jumping through doors that I open, and of course the old favourite and often mentioned 'closing the elevator door in my face') then you need to open your eyes....or maybe you just assume that ANYONE who does these things couldn't POSSIBLY be a native HKer....how sad for you...

and before i hear 'if you hate it so much why don't you just LEAVE!!!' read carefully....i didn't once say I hate Hong Kong (in fact I love it...no plans to ever leave...) just that there are rude people of EVERY nationality in every country, no need to single out PRC's (especially in HK!)

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast