If your Chinese, How proud are you?

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

It's funny that alotta HK'ers are quick to distance themselves from mainlanders because they think they reflect poorly on them. In the U.S. or Canada, alotta ABCs and CBCs hate to be lumped in with HK'ers because they think they reflect poorly on them.

I grew up in the U.S. and often get the Asian guessing game: "Are you Chinese? Japanese? Vietnamese? Korean?" I used to answer. But now, I ask, "What difference does it make?" Some people are just curious, of course. But I think some people just wanna confirm their stereotypes, and I don't wanna play into that.

Thank you for saying the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Maybe I can shed some light on the subject. I'm a white guy, so i would consider myself impartial to any party. I've lived in Guangzhou for quite some time, and now live here in HK. Basically there is a huge difference between Mainlanders and HKnese. It's not just because HKnese are afraid of Mailanders taken their jobs. First and foremost because of the lack of proper education most mainlanders are impolite to shopkeepers, and will by definition cut in queues. I notice a huge difference in politeness alone when comparing GZ to HK. Whenever I walk in HK you can spot a Mainlanders from a crowd, the typical one dresses in an oversize costume, and female will almost aways dress in pink or green. Now these are primary reasons, aside from the language difference, why HKnese still discrimanate Mainland chinese. This will fade away as Mailand education will go up, but for the time being many Mainlanders fall into this category. Now don't misunderstand me, there are also Mainlanders who blend in just fine, but it's the ones that stand out in behavior which causes the discrimnation.

The culture gap is still very wide between HKnese and Mainland china, maybe this is unclear to the common westerner. But as someone who knows both very well, the gap still is cause for the discrimnation. Only time will bridge the gap.

This is so blatantly true, and yet it has only now come up.

The difference in education is huge.

Thus the Mainland Chinese person will generally be more ignorant, less open minded. They also have a much poorer sense of fashion. Just look at their haircuts.

In fact, Singapore itself is a very good example of this difference in education.

Those over 35 (pre Independence) tend to be Chinese educated and a lot less went on to higher education.

These older people tend to spit, crouch, have lack of fashion sense, push in front of others, and make that horrible throat clearing noise prior to ex-sputum-ating.

In contrast, the under 30's tend to have the benefit of better education, and thus do not spit, barge in queues as much (unless forced by recalcitrant mothers) etc.

Those between 30 and 35 are a grey area.

Quote Originally Posted by yeungp:
    Maybe I have the advantage of distance since I wasn't born in either China or HK but from my experience, the educated "mainland" Chinese are classier than the educated HK Chinese and the crass ones are just as crass. .

I find that educated mainland Chinese are more humble than HK's.

My current landlord falls into that category.

Quote Originally Posted by Max:
    try repeating the same situation here and you'll soon find out how "proud" you'll be.....
    I was trying to be sarcastic, man!

Ok, i'm probably stupid (i'm from the mainland... of Oz ), but can someone tell me WHERE this thread is going?

Apart from telling me not to where pink or green, not to burp or fart or pick my nose (party poopers), or not to talk loudly into my fone in public.. is there anything here i can glean?

Nup. 'fraid not.

you're in HK. it is multcultural. anyone else there is there by rights too. who gives a rats proverbial if they're rude, burp/fart or push into the queue. labelling them as "mainlander/yank/Oz/whatever-you-desire" is not going to make your day easier. just be rude, burp and fart back - works for me - the queue just vanishes

as far as "rivalry"/discrimination between HK and mainlanders etc, Oz and Poms do it too, but we hide behind cricket, world cup footy etc... much more fun...

Last edited by dropdedfwed; 22-01-2006 at 05:07 PM.

Like "dropdedfwed", I am totally lost as to where this thread is heading.

It started with a harmless question - are you proud to be Chinese. Then it turned into why HK Chinese discriminate against mainland Chinese. This was then followed by how Chinese immigrants are 'discriminated' overseas, ABC's versus local Chinese, etc. Now I am totally lost as to how many of those who participated in this thread can really answer the original question - is one proud to be Chinese.

I am not 100% ethnic Chinese (as opposed to Chinese nationality), but am proud of who I am. My point here is - be proud of who you are - your warts and all. It doesn't matter if you're labelled Pommy, Irish, Yanks, Greek, Woks, or Chink.

As for discrimination - I suppose it's human tendency to 'look down' on those less educated/well-off than you, but it takes much more humanity to surpress those tendencies. It's so much easier for one to contribute to say the Tsunami Relief Fund and other charities when one does not have to come into contact with those less fortunate people whom the money is meant to help.

In conclusion, I share some of the viewpoints expressed about why discrimination exists - difference in culture, xenophobia, income, social status, country of domicile, etc.; some of these differences are simply perception!

Quote Originally Posted by dropdedfwed:
    Ok, i'm probably stupid (i'm from the mainland... of Oz ), but can someone tell me WHERE this thread is going?

Apart from telling me not to where pink or green, not to burp or fart or pick my nose (party poopers), or not to talk loudly into my fone in public.. is there anything here i can glean?

Nup. 'fraid not.

you're in HK. it is multcultural. anyone else there is there by rights too. who gives a rats proverbial if they're rude, burp/fart or push into the queue. labelling them as "mainlander/yank/Oz/whatever-you-desire" is not going to make your day easier. just be rude, burp and fart back - works for me - the queue just vanishes

as far as "rivalry"/discrimination between HK and mainlanders etc, Oz and Poms do it too, but we hide behind cricket, world cup footy etc... much more fun...
    So how to deal with those people who spit on the ground,
    smoking in Non-smoking area,
    pushing people in a queue,
    being rude to the staff when shopping,
    robbing people when hill walking,
    washing feet in public toilet
    .......?

Quote Originally Posted by duecustard:
    So how to deal with those people who spit on the ground,
    smoking in Non-smoking area,
    pushing people in a queue,
    being rude to the staff when shopping,
    robbing people when hill walking,
    washing feet in public toilet
    .......?
    yawn

get over it... seriously. these things happen the world over. you're not going to change the world by whining about it. this is not being constructive.
    Last edited by dropdedfwed; 23-01-2006 at 07:42 AM.

>>Are you proud of being Chinese?

i am pround of something unrelated to nationality

>> and What is it that makes you feel less proud? and Why?

Nothing

well I think somebody is going to close that thread soon no?

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast