Learning French Abroad - Any opinion?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

How much cost a Years in Toulouse ???

[QUOTE=leah99;109474]I've been to Toulouse in south France, i love it so much!QUOTE]

Lea, Can you advcie us how much you spend ? Sure Bougongzai will like it.

More info...

Quote Originally Posted by Bougongzai:
    Voila: what file? I can't find any file which I can download... can you give me the specific link? thx a lot.
    Here is the list of all the place where you can learn French in France:
    http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/ser...nce_27077.html
    (121 addresss...)

End of the page you do have
    Répertoire des centres de formation (PDF, 3.1 Mo) ==> Click on it & Just download that PDF FILE.

1 year course for 1294 euro? wow! That's very attractive!
    That for the french lesson only and shall be like 4 to 6 hours a week.
    (and actually I have no idea about those cities at all, that's why a French map won't help much....)
    Then just invent a way to choose.
    Advice South is better for the weather... the rest is your choice.

no, i learned the language in shanghai, not in france. i just travelled to toulouse for around 1 week.
    i think the living expenses can't be much higher than in HK. if u can live well in hk, so u can live well in france, i guess.
    my personal opinion is that one can learn the language in home town, to see how much he loves the language and how fast he's able to study. then go out to get improved. not directly risk on his savings...

Last edited by leah99; 21-09-2006 at 02:31 PM.

Bonjour,

My name is Fiona. I came from Hong Kong and studying French for about a year in France. I studied in a private school in Toulouse for seven months and then changed to study in Montpellier. I have encountered many difficulties when I am studying in France, esp in the first few months. I was cry many times when I was threw out by a ugly french woman in the first month, she blamed me to cause the flooding in her house, but actually it is the leakaging of her washing machine and all my documents were wet. Fortunately, my life and lanuage has been improving gradually, I can met some friends and they gave me a lot of help (Not only the French, the Chinese students also gave me many help in Toulouse). However, I don't like to live in Montpellier, which is a small city and I am studying in a university, where the class size are bigger than my class in Toulouse. I often speaks English, Mandarin and a little bit Japanese with my classmates, but not french, the rental charge and transportation are also worse than Toulouse. Everything is expensive in Montpellier and you cannot reach to the Chinese big supermarket easilly and there are nobody to take intiative to say bonjour (but there are many nice people in Toulouse). In fact, my french is still very poor, the tenses are so complicated, I have difficulites in the pronounciation and always mixed up the sounds in English and French. I will back to Hong Kong in the beginning of Jan 2007 bec I want to prepare the GMAT examination. C'est dammage! I have used many money to study in France so I need to come back HK and find a job. In fact, I enjoy my live in France, I learn to be more independent and have expanded my horizons. I also think that if my life have 70 years old, it is worth to stay in a foreign country for just one or two years. However, I am keen on learning and praticising my french in Hong Kong and want to find a person or a group to exchange the language and culture with me. I am a film lover and like to travelling.

Last edited by leung.fifi; 26-11-2006 at 04:46 AM.

Studying French in France

Dear all,

I don't know it is a good suggestion, but I am pleasure to share my experiences to study in France. First of all, I have spend 7 months to study french in a private school in Toulouse, which costs about 400 euros monthly. The class size is small and the teachers are very professional, but the facilities are not very advanced. Also, you can apply to live in a university residence and you can meet many friends and exchange language with them.

I am studying french in Montpellier now. There are about 20 persons in a class,many Chinese and Amercian students. It costs 900 euros for one semester. The teachers and facilities are quite good. However, it is impossible to live in a university residence if you just study french. I need to arrange my own accomodation. I am living with a french family and pay 450 for rental cost where is very near my school and I can walk to the centre-ville within 15 mins. I have my own room, my own bathroom, can use internet, can use washing machine, all the costs are included, but I can't use the kitchen, but I have my cooker (auto-cuisinière, 電飯煲), so it is not a big problem for me. The madame and her two childrens are anice too!

Institute Catholique de Toulouse:
    http://www.ict-toulouse.asso.fr/iulcf/

University of Paul-Valery in Montpellier :
    http://iefe.univ-montp3.fr/gb/cs_niveaux.html

For me as an example (a poor student), I spend about 700-800 euros per month, for school fee, accomodation, transportation and eating. I have no money to visit other cities in France, because the transportation cost is very expensive!

If you want to study just for few months, I would suggest you to study during summer (from May to Sept), because it has longer day time and it is better for short-team travelling.

Fiona

Last edited by leung.fifi; 27-11-2006 at 07:56 AM.

Hi

I spent the summer one year learning French at Strasbourg univerity which was fantastic. The course was good and the city is superb. Small and easy to get around with a lot of history and many nice people. But I think in most parts of France most of the people are friendly apart from Paris and maybe Lyon.

I think it is good to do some study before for sure but definitely think you learn more when you are there and imersed in the life and culture and have to use the language all the time.

One other thought is New Caledonia but may be expensive?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2