drivers licence/hk id

Closed Thread

drivers licence/hk id

I can't find this information on the hk gov website : once you have your hong kong id are you allowed to drive if you still don't have your hk drivers licence but have an overseas one? and if so for how long?
    Also, has anyone taken the actual test for the hk drivers licence (can't find my overseas licence)? can you take it on an automatic?

thx

You do need a HK Drivers Licence to drive in HK. If you have an eligibile overseas licence you may apply for a 'direct issue of HK drivers licence' without taking any tests.

See link below:
    http://www.td.gov.hk/public_services...sing/index.htm

yes but one of my overseas licence is expired, and the other lost somewhere in the move, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to take the test! Has anyone taken it already?

You can take the test on an automatic. You will get an "automatic" license, and you cannot drive a manual with that license.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheroad:
    yes but one of my overseas licence is expired, and the other lost somewhere in the move, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to take the test! Has anyone taken it already?
    If you can get a driving record from the licensing body in your home country that shows that you have had a valid license at some time in the past 3 yrs, you can apply for a direct issue of a HK DL with no test. See Sec 3.1 in the atached link

Transport Department - Driving in Hong Kong for Overseas Driving Licence Holders

Er, 3 year old question!

Quote Originally Posted by timklip:
    If you can get a driving record from the licensing body in your home country that shows that you have had a valid license at some time in the past 3 yrs, you can apply for a direct issue of a HK DL with no test. See Sec 3.1 in the atached link

Transport Department - Driving in Hong Kong for Overseas Driving Licence Holders
    dude ur replying to a 3 year old post. I think the typhoon winds have got to u. STAY SAFE.

er, you're right! damn that ranjith...