Like Tree12Likes

sleeping with Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Given the title of this thread I thought it was another one on infidelity. The subtle differences between "with" and "in".

MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    in other words use the technology for positive purposes not negative ones or 'posing'.
    cant you do both?
    i look super cool with my ipad and iphone, plus i get constant work updates on them and run skype full time so anyone can contact me instantly wether im in office or on road or asleep.

Any friends you have who want to have a conversation with you must really love that.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Any friends you have who want to have a conversation with you must really love that.
    well...again, this comes into respect/manners territory.
    I do NOT talk on phone while at a restaurant with other people, I do NOT interrupt conversations for every call, I do NOT use my phone during class/meetings

i learned very early on in my life, the best way to connect with people is to give them your full attention, nothing short of that.

when work skypes me, emails me, calls me.... i will finish my conversation or meeting and then excuse myself when appropriate.

i cant believe the nerve of some people...who take calls when the CEO is giving a lecture or meeting. i constantly have to reprimand my office staff for doing that when CEO is in town, or when in meeting with clients....its extremely rude and in poor taste (emergencies aside)

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Perhaps an ipad or iphone4. Can't see anyone who thinks they look cool on a blackberry. Some of us use our blackberries as a means to leave the office while still in the middle of work and still be contactable - in other words use the technology for positive purposes not negative ones or 'posing'.
    I think part of the problem is that other people (at work) realise you have a crackberry and know you read emails at all hours, so they expect you to be on call 24hrs almost.

(I don't have a crackberry or iphone)

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    i cant believe the nerve of some people...who take calls when the CEO is giving a lecture or meeting. i constantly have to reprimand my office staff for doing that when CEO is in town, or when in meeting with clients....its extremely rude and in poor taste (emergencies aside)
    I've had people take calls while I'm interviewing them. Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    Is this a Hong Kong thing?
    I am glad it is not just me who is frustrated by this.

I didn't experience people taking calls in meetings (even important ones with CEO's, as you note), until I moved to Hong Kong. Where I come from it is extremely rude. No one will die if they don't answer the phone, but they insist on answering it quietly, holding their hand over the phone, but it is just plain rude.

I guess I'm not that ambitious. I don't want my boss calling me at all hours. Every once in awhile, my last boss would overstep, asking me to call during my sleep hours. I just ignored his request. I work hard, but I don't work for anyone 24 hours a day. That appears to be fine, because he just hired me for another job.

In HK, I need as much sleep as anywhere else, but it's noisy and I have a hard time sleeping there sometimes. When I come this time, I'm bringing a large supply of earplugs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I've had people take calls while I'm interviewing them. Unbelievable.
    I hope you don't give them the job.

Presumably the interview did not last long after that call.