Break in and theft!!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Break in and theft!!!

So on the 27th of september and less than a week before leaving Hong Kong I have a break in in my Shatin City One apartment. 2 laptops including bag was stolen. One is a brand new lg worth 14980 hkd. The other one is a 2 year old acer centrino based system.

The thief first entered the estate perimeter, kicked down a large metal door (made out of aluminium, clever huh?), crawled up to the third floor, removed bathroom metal (aluminium) security, walked in and stole 2 laptops and locked my main door from the inside. Then climbed out and did the same thing to my neighbours apartment and left the block perimeter without anyone noticing anything. it has to be said that the internet cord was sticking out of the window all the way down to the ground but no one noticed even security is supposed to patrol the area.

After alerting the security they seem rather clueless about what to do and although they notice the cord they didnt notice that the door was crashed. They even told me it was already broken or something similar (communication was a problem).

I have no insurance so my loss exceeds 20k hkd. It pissed me off that the security is so bad in my building and that management doesnt install better security. I mean whats up with all the aluminium? Why dont they put up doors made of chokolate instead?

Why did no secvurity personel see the cord hanging from the window in the 2 pm to 10:30 pm window where the break in took place? I just dont get it. The incompetence I am faced with in Hong Kong at times makes me feel hopeless for the human race.

I want to sue the management for security neglectance. Obviously the area hadnt been patrolled and the door might have been defect. Also the light was broken. Also how could an unauthorized person get into the area at all?

I hope someone can tell me if I should go to small claims tribunal and make a case against the management.

Thanks in advance.

What is the police's view on the matter?

Well they didnt speak much english and they just gave me a card.
    I guess they dont care much.
    I will sue management for the amount lost. Lousy security was the problem or maybe even coorperation from security.
    The thief knew that I wasnt home and same for the neighbour.

There is something fishy about it all and it happened just when this construction crew started working in the same area just one floor up from me and my neighbour. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by rune:
    I will sue management for the amount lost.{...}construction crew started working in the same area just one floor up from me and my neighbour. Coincidence?
    Are you the landlord? If not I don't think you have a contract with the management company so you won't be able to sue them - you'd have to sue your landlord and he (having a contract with the management company) would have to sue them.

It's quite possibly not a coincidence - in the better developments I have lived in the management has always put written warning notices in letter booxes when construction was taking place, advising everyone to make sure that windows and doors are made as secure as possible. This doesn't help if they are smashing down doors and cutting out window grilles though.

About 2 weeks ago, I was locked out of my apartment. I stupidly closed the door and then realised that I left my keys in the apartment. Went to the concierge and he gave me a number to call the locksmith. Called the locksmith and he came. After fiddling with the lock on the door for about half an hour, he managed to pick the lock without wrecking it. And viola, the door opened. It looked exactly the same and no damage done at all. I got into my apartment and paid him. But at the back of my mind, I was wondering if locks are then truly safe. And what if someone uses the same method to break in. Now, whenever I leave the apartment, I double lock it, not sure if it's going to help.

Last edited by sunniefaith; 29-09-2006 at 01:48 PM. Reason: typo

You really need to install a lock with a dead bolt that uses 'digital' keys for peace of mind.

Is dead bolt the lock that you lock after you close the door? Thought of the digital lock....But knowing myself, I'll stuff up the numbers somehow

>> Thought of the digital lock....But knowing myself, I'll stuff
    >> up the numbers somehow

There are keys which care extremely difficult to duplicate. Our lock for example cannot be opened by a locksmith. Having said that ... one of our neighbours got locked into their bathroom and the fire services had to be called... If the rumor is to be belived they basically figured out a way to remove the door from its hinges and got in.

Construction workers are generally suspect .. and the cops will do very little to track them. They'll strongly discourage you from even filing reports... given that it f's their statistics up.

A dead bolt is a long cylindrical bolt that can not be pushed back i.e it locks 'dead' in place. It is better at holding the door in place by design. The 'digital' keys are not able to be copied at regular keysmiths and require you to submit the registration number that came with the keys.

Thanks. I don't think my locks have been changed before. I'll prob get it changed real soon. At least it'll give me a sense of security.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast