Unusual question about wealth

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    Having just read the thread Chinese people with English 'names' I have just split my sides after reading the above
    I just read that thread - hilarious!! I like "Evil"!! Don't mess with that dude...

Don't worrry, Andrew. I am not offended at all.

The funny thing is that the biggest asset of Hong Kong people is property, while the biggest debt of Hong Kong people is mortgage.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Melb:
    Sorry about the perhaps over-zealous English corrections, it's hard to know what is simply what someone doesn't know and what is just a typo. I know people generally like their English to be corrected. I'm not being a smart-ass (or arse), you multilingual guys are way superior to me since your English is so much better than my <insert your native language here>.

Savings in bank gives me some kind of relative proportion I guess. Roughly 4x as much saving in mainland China than in HK, so it might be safe to assume roughly 4x (or maybe more due to higher proportion of non-bank assets) net wealth in mainland China than HK. I'm surprised total bank savings only works out to be HK$500k per capita, with all the overseas companies based here.

Also I knew there was >1.3b people in China. 800m seems to be the figure most quoted as Mandarin speakers so I was assuming the other 500m or so was non-Mandarin speaking mainland Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnypanda:
    Don't worrry, Andrew. I am not offended at all.

The funny thing is that the biggest asset of Hong Kong people is property, while the biggest debt of Hong Kong people is mortgage.
    That is true in almost every country of the world. Certainly the more developed the country, the more that holds true.

That's actually not all true- in many countries most people rent. France is a good example. The UK is probably the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammarite:
    That's actually not all true- in many countries most people rent. France is a good example. The UK is probably the worst.
    I was thinking of that actually as I was typing it but didn't think it was worth getting into the European exception. Yes I agree there is a greater proportion of renters in Europe, especially in France.

I stayed in France last year for nearly a month right at the peak of summer - it was gorgeous. Spent most of the time between Paris and a lovely little country area about an hour north west of Paris. Hired a car and went up to Normandy regions for a few days too, so wonderful. The food, the food!!!!! Oh, and the wine...

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    And then there are the Shanghainese speakers .. Li Ka Shing himself could mess that average up by being included in that group.
    Li Ka Shing is actually Chiuchow (i.e from Guangdong, albeit the north-eastern corner near Fujian), not Shanghainese. He does speak a different dialect from HK Cantonese, but it is technically a Guangdong dialect, albeit with heavy Fujian influence in terms of grammar, sentence structure and vocabulary.

so r we going to hear why is this being discussed at all ? just for interest and curiosity...

trying to figure out which language to study ?

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    so r we going to hear why is this being discussed at all ? just for interest and curiosity...

trying to figure out which language to study ?
    No, it's for a book I'm writing.

I've definitely decided to make Hong Kong my home for the foreseeable future so I'll learn Cantonese. Once I'm done with that I'll pick up Mandarin again. I learnt a little Mandarin (very little) about five years ago but I've decided to drop that for Cantonese.

dont' forget that you have to include the wealth of all the corrupt officials over the border...i have a feeling that would add up to quite a staggering amount... and is most likely "hidden" somewhere...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2