La Nina

Closed Thread

La Nina

From the Hullexile Observatory: La Nina has started so we can expect more than average number of tropical cyclones for Hong Kong in the second half of the year.

In case anyone thinks I have some weird obsession with these things, because I fly between here and the Phils most weeks I keep an eye on the likelihood of storms - if there is going to be a typhoon over the Philippines then I don't book a ticket.

as long as there isnt one this weekend then i m fine. Heading to Philippines to catch up with mates there and for 3 days of Boozing. Lot cheaper then 1 night in Wan Chai LOL.

I usually give it until October, after which I hold out no hope of a T8. This summer has been disappointing.

There is some hope - both 1954 and 1972 had T8's in November (1954's went up to a T9 for a while), and they were both called Typhoon Pamela.

They are not as common as people seem to think - there were only been 101 storms causing T8 or higher to be issued between 1946 and 2009, so an average of less than two per year.

Last edited by PDLM; 19-08-2010 at 01:40 AM.

Come to think of it, that (one or two a year) sounds about right. On a dry spell at the moment, in terms of public holidays too, so a T8 would be much appreciated.