Like Tree4Likes

Racist European in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

PDLM, you have misquoted me. What I said was, even though I'm not American, I found what she said about America offensive. That means I would've taken even more offence if I were American.

Sorry you had to deal with such miserable human being, peace is from within, all types of noise are everywhere even though in the Himalayas She sounded like a person who is unhappy about herself and her surroundings she just needed to let it out on kind looking people, I guess she wouldn't have said anything if you were a big triad looking guy with tattoos all over.. you just happened to be there, feel sorry for her & don't ever get upset with ignorant, closed minded people like that they are everywhere!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BKLYN83:
    i would have flipped her table over and walk away
    I've done that in HK - and they call the police on you. Not recommended.

How rude. Try not to think about it, what's done is done. She will look back on this and know she was out of line. Try and enjoy the rest of your Sunday, don't let a random person with attitude problems ruin a nice day out.

Someone once said to me, that alot of what people say to you (when complaining) is actually what they are thinking/doing themselves ... so if someone calls you a thief, chances are they are one themselves and so on. No idea if it's true. But seems to me that the woman was having a bad day - perhaps had just had a racist experience herself (some of the locals can do that too as we all know!) and probably just took it out on you ... wrong place; wrong time. Best thing to do would have been to day something like "sorry you are finding this cafe so noisy, perhaps you had better go home and relax as you are clearly very tense and upset". Said with a smile. (PS - I'd more likely have reacted like you did or worse, but I wish I could do the sweetness and light moral high ground thing!!!)

Some Europeans are highly snobbish about their 2000+ years of culture and therefore looking down on Americans who have only 200 years of culture.

I would have said something like this: this is not Europe, this is Hong Kong. COuld you please not disturb us we are having a private conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    COuld you please not disturb us we are having a private conversation.
    I think the whole point was that they weren't having a private conversation!

Perhaps she (The European woman) has not has sex in a long time and is a bit grumpy.

I hate noisy bastards. When will people realise that they're not in their living rooms? It's difficult not to agree with the European woman. Plus it sounds like she won!