Has a bus driver ever yelled at you?!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

I did say, "not all, but enough to make the generalization" And you know what, there are traits that white people/cultures exhibit, so why should that offend me? There are unpleasant truths about lots of thing, but people are to scared or PC to say it...but that doesn't make it any less true or make the problem go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedes288:

Basic humanity? What's THAT? You don't need to go far back into history, just look at how the blacks were treated during and after hurricane Katrina. I live in Washington DC, black people are practically shunned from the Georgetown area. Yes, I don't doubt that the western way is more humane. So please go place more economic sanctions or bomb some more countries. When your parents get really old and useless, just place them in nursing home and only visit them once during Thanksgiving.
    You know, some of the stuff you said I agreed with until you came out with this load of claptrap. Is this not a generalisation too?

Is it REALLY something worth to raise your blood pressure for? This can't be healthy...
    I only see one person really raising their blood pressure over this
    Last edited by JonnyC; 17-10-2006 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sylvesterjay:
    I did say, "not all, but enough to make the generalization" And you know what, there are traits that white people/cultures exhibit, so why should that offend me? There are unpleasant truths about lots of thing, but people are to scared or PC to say it...but that doesn't make it any less true or make the problem go away.
    However, that's not what you said. I thought you just said the western way is better than the Chinese crap way.

You making sweeping generalization about an entire race...right, this WILL make the problem go away.

But whatever, you're hopeless. You have an attitude problem and you know it.

So again, why stay in HK if you dislike it so much?

Given that this is a recurrent theme and is so widely discussed over and over, just maybe there might be some truth in the way chinese behave. OOOOOH, the big bad stereotype! Well guess what? Certain segments of people have to exhibit a trait for the stereotype to exist, now doesn't it!

And you know what else, its not just me or other expats. Many of my local friends have expressed their shame at the ignorance they see and it drives them nuts too; just as I do when I see drunken, boorish gwei lo's acting up in LKF or Wan Chai. I've had this discussion before with a good local friend of mine, who I met thru geoexpat and who I'm sure will weigh in shortly. She claims its because in this culture a lot of people are just never taught the basics. So its ok for her to say it, but not others? She has told me, and she is absolutely right...I just need to learn to deal with it!

I'm not a racist, and I resent that implication. My friends are all locals, my girlfriend is not white. All I am doing is being forthright and honest about a sensitive subject, and if I happen to say something unpleasant, well that doesn't make it untrue or racially motivated.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyC:
    You know, some of the stuff you said I agreed with until you came out with this load of claptrap. Is this not a generalisation too?
    No, because it's not based on assumption. Do you want me to remind you what the Georgetown police chief said about black people in an official news conference? As of now, the Iraq war is still going on and before that, the US backed UN sanction has led to the death of millions of innocent Iraqi civilians. The US is currently pressuring China to place a sanction on North Korea.

I only see one person really raising their blood pressure over this
    Yes, bigots ALWAYS have the ability to raise my blood pressure...

I will say no more.

Quote Originally Posted by goodkarma:
    Canadians are as standoffish abt integrating with other races as most any other country. They just tend not to say anything outloud.

Whio do you think coined "Hong Couver"?
    Hongcouver? There's nothing derrogatory in that description- it's perfectly accurate and I've heard Chinese Canadians use the term in everyday converstation. If you drive around Richmond or parts of Burnaby, you can see nothing but Chinese people for blocks.

I've lived in Canada, the UK, Australia and the US.

I've found Canadians to be almost bafflingly accepting of other cultures within their society that make little or no effort to integrate. IMO it's not the resident culture that should make the effort, it should be the incoming culture. I guess that by this measure, Westerners in HK are a pretty terrible bunch almost none of us make any effort to learn local ways. We just impose our own standards on everything and whine about rude passengers on the MTR

Quote Originally Posted by sylvesterjay:
    Given that this is a recurrent theme and is so widely discussed over and over, just maybe there might be some truth in the way chinese behave. OOOOOH, the big bad stereotype! Well guess what? Certain segments of people have to exhibit a trait for the stereotype to exist, now doesn't it!
    Okay, now listen. White people are racist. Phew, thanks for letting me vent! So now don't tell me otherwise, because many black, yellow and brown people living in the west certainly feel that way.

And please don't stone me either because I'm using the exact same logic that you're using.

So its ok for her to say it, but not others? She has told me, and she is absolutely right...I just need to learn to deal with it!
    Black people use the "n" word to address each other but they will beat you up if you call them such. Can you use some freaking common sense here?

I'm not a racist, and I resent that implication. My friends are all locals, my girlfriend is not white. All I am doing is being forthright and honest about a sensitive subject, and if I happen to say something unpleasant, well that doesn't make it untrue or racially motivated.
    I love it when white people do that. I'm not a racist but I just don't like having black people in my house. haha, love that, just love that.

I'd been a cop in NYC for 5 years and I've seen quite some interesting things but I have to admit, I've never met someone quit like you, I mean, with the twisted logic and all.

I asked you for the third time - why stay in HK if you dislike the Chinese so much?

Goodnight...it's going nowhere. Trying to reason with you is like trying to get clean water out of a toilet bowl...

I will say no more.
    Something told me that wasn't going to be so...

No, because it's not based on assumption. Do you want me to remind you what the Georgetown police chief said about black people in an official news conference? As of now, the Iraq war is still going on and before that, the US backed UN sanction has led to the death of millions of innocent Iraqi civilians. The US is currently pressuring China to place a sanction on North Korea.

Yes, bigots ALWAYS have the ability to raise my blood pressure...

I will say no more.
    But you're talking about a government there and treating it like it's all the people in the US, no-one brought the HK government into this so you shouldn't bring the US government into it either. I'd wager most Americans don't actually agree with what their government does in their name, certainly most Brits don't agree with what Phoney Blair is doing.

Anyway, taking away that part, you still generalised that western people put their parents in homes and then forget about them. I'm sure most western people who care about their elderly parents probably don't appreciate your insinuation. Don't you realise, you're moaning about someone generalising then doing the same thing back to them to try and prove your argument.

Hmmm....wonder how long will this go on before KIA closes this thread....Anyway, where KIA?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast