What is a comfortable salary to make in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Don't go there with 1300 rent.....Forgot to add that friend didn't survive her place for too long!!!! Pay something like 5 to 7K for something decent and you'll be happier. I can't comment on 70K per year. But you do have to look at tax as well. When I made my move from Spore to HK, I did realise that tax in HK is higher than Spore and therefore I had to make sure that my salary will justify my move. So you have to work that out as well.

Would you be subject to US taxes? I think you'd be below the threshold at US70k, but if you went above that you may like to do some comparative calculations.

No US tax at all, only HK. It looks like I would be right around where I need to be.

Thanks

About 2 million HKD per month is quite comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Expatriate:
    About 2 million HKD per month is quite comfortable.
    I'm not taking a pay-cut for anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Goirish02:
    No US tax at all, only HK. It looks like I would be right around where I need to be.
    Heya you sure you don't have to pay US tax? For US citizens, it's global taxation (means you pay the tax of whatever country you live in, as well as in the US)...but I'm sure you already knew that...

Apartment-wise, I pay $15k in a new renovated and fully furnished apartment in an older building. 5-floor walkup, about 350 sq feet, but it's a 10-min walk to Soho and Lan Kwai Fong...plus, my rent includes internet, cable TV, and a weekly helper who comes in and does all my cleaning/washing.

AND I've been told that I'm overcharged, but I absolutely love the place and am not planning on moving anywhere else...so if you look around and do a bit of digging, there are plenty of gems to be found in and around Causeway Bay / Central, without having to move further than a 15-20min commute.

Have you tried Happy Valley?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Goirish02:
    Thank you for all the help! I've looked around Causeway Bay and surrounding areas and it seems the cheapest I can get is $1300 for 200 sq ft. Quite a change from the 1300 sq ft I have now in Chicago.

Also this is a base + commission structure and they tell me that I should be expected to make 70K US per year. I am making 100K US right now. Would 70K be a decent wage?
    Am I understanding correctly? You are taking a pay cut, from US$100 to US$70, when moving to HK?

Thanks for everyone's replies! Clear on the global tax and found out that I will be taxed in the US, but company will cover. I'm looking all over the net for a place to rent when I get there...looks like the company will also have someone take me around to find a place so that helps too.

Quick question, found some places online in Hong Kong Island (West), 700 sq ft and about 8000 for the month. Is this the actual island or Kowloon/New Territories???

Yes I will be taking a paycut but the only reason I am doing so is because it's a Business Development position and I will be working Singapore, Malaysia, and HK. It's basically a fast track to have a very good position after the two years either in HK or the US.

I agree, no job is worth a pay cut.

no job worth a pay cut ? hmmm...
    why not ? that's a bold statement

Is it for the same company or a different one? Same role or different one? It's only for a diff company and diff role would a slight paycut be justifyable...