'Empty seat on the bus syndrome'

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I don't think it's racist to complain about the behavioral traits of HK Chinese, although it is stupid to generalize a dislike
    Correct me if I am wrong but isnt the definition of Racism to generalize a dislike against a race?

Nobody has generalized a dislike for the "Chinese" race. It's only cultural or place-specific discrimination if you have no problem with Chinese people from other places. Unless there's a racial class of Hong Kong Chinese?

"Come on! If you kick out the Gooks you'd have to kick out the Chinks, the Spics, the Spooks and Kikes and all you'd have left is a couple of braindead Rednecks and what fun would that be?" - Robin Williams, Good Morning Vietnam

I Iiked everything about HK except the HK Chinese.
    Best. Quote. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by shilo507:
    Has anyone else experienced the ‘empty seat on a crowded bus syndrome’?

I have lost count of the number of times I am on a crowded bus and the only empty seat on the whole bus is next to me with the HK Chinese passengers preferring to stand rather than risk sitting next to me.
    Strange complaint: are you looking for a chat with another passenger? Or do you miss the warmth of a human body on your commute?

I'd probably prefer to stay alone. You never know who will sit next to you.

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbybo:
    Strange complaint: are you looking for a chat with another passenger? Or do you miss the warmth of a human body on your commute?

I'd probably prefer to stay alone. You never know who will sit next to you.
    lol....true...

I, for one, enjoy the extra space. More often I'll just proceed to sit back all comfy and take up the entire space! Hey, nobody wants it anyway, right?

Quote Originally Posted by grandcider:
    Nobody has generalized a dislike for the "Chinese" race. It's only cultural or place-specific discrimination if you have no problem with Chinese people from other places. Unless there's a racial class of Hong Kong Chinese?
    Hong Kong Chinese are still part of a race. He is attacking that group of a race on a general level due to the actions of some Hong Kong Chinese he has ran in to.

I mean you look at other neighbouring countries and their people may look the same, speak the same language, have similar values and the only difference is a border. So they are the same race right? It's much like the difference between the border at Korea for instance. North and South Korea. The people are both Korean's, they speak the same language, eat the same food etc. Similar with China and Hong Kong. If you say you hate South Koreans, but love North Koreans, I take that as racist, if you say you hate Hong Kongers I take that as racist as well.

Come on now. If (for whatever reason) I have a problem with people in Ap Lei Chau, does that make me a racist too? Should I draw a Venn diagram? It's just like some people in the US who say they can't stand New Yorkers, or Southerners. It may be an irrationally generalised dislike based on culture, customs or politics, but it's not racist. If you hate South Koreans but love North Koreans, then it would appear that you have no racially-based prejudice against South Koreans.

as the saying goes

I'm not predjudiced I just hate everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Krad:
    Best. Quote. Ever.
    i had a good laugh at this.
    the thing is, they won't change for a single you. we are expats here, so we have to go with the flow. (though i hardly experience any discrimination 'cause i think i look like a local minus the blabbering cantonese).

if you can't beat them, join them.