Copyright laws on music used in a play?

Closed Thread

Question Copyright laws on music used in a play?

I've written a musical review that uses (obviously) a lot of well-known songs. Can anyone direct me on how to find the copyright laws for theatre productions in Hong Kong?

PS: Actors, actresses, dancers, (and all the wanna-be's in between) watch this thread for future postings for auditions should everything work out. It's a show written for amateur performers originally, including non-singers who lip-sync a mean rock star! It's a good little show to get your booty on stage 'cuz you love it and feel at home there and want to be part of the process and a cast.

But first, I need to find out the legalities. More soon... I hope.

I think you need to talk to these guys: http://www.cash.org.hk The Composers & Authors Society of Hong Kong - they seem to have arrangements with the relevant overseas equivalents.

thanks for the lead!

I'd also contact the folks at hksingers.com .. they might be able to give you some friendly peer advice.

I can imagine that a publishers group like cash will go overboard to make it too difficult for you ... without keeping sensible rights that you have, in mind.