Wedding Present

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wedding Present

i've been invited to a colleague's church wedding (ceremony only, no dinner) and i don't know what kind of gift to get him & his bride. i usually get the red bomb for the dinner, so giving cash is easy. i don't want to give the usual photo album or picture frame. any suggestions?? thanks!!

Kitchenware is usually a good bet.

i'd go for something like a gift certificate to a nice restaurant...
    but you didn't say what your budget is...

a pair of crystal glasses

ok.
    similar question
    i have been given an invitation card that includes the church ceremony and the dinner at a hotel (langham).

questions
    - are we expected to attend both ?
    - assuming i only need to attend the dinner, what is the 'market rate' of gift ? shld it be in 1 red packet or 2 ?
    - so if i end up unable to make both and informed colleague in advance, what would be a suitable amount of 'gift' ?

$500 per person if you attend (one packet)
    $300 if you do not attend

Something I always forget to do is write my name on the back of the red packet. Mind you the happy couple may not be so pleased with me when they see the contents.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    Something I always forget to do is write my name on the back of the red packet. Mind you the happy couple may not be so pleased with me when they see the contents.
    Then instead of underpaying they may think you paid $0!

most chinese weddings have a place to "check-in"... that is a place with a red cloth for everyone to sign. most of the time, the people sitting at this table will also check off names as people enter and give the lai see...

so 500hkd is a fair rate for attendance and 300hkd is for non attendance ? any other price calls ? 500 seems to be what i'd pay in sg and i've always heard that hk norm is much higher.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast