Who's paranoid and deviant?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location
    Quote Originally Posted by Expatriate:
    How would you know, I still have legs?
    Ooooookay, Mr. Wiseguy....If you don't have legs (because I've probably broken them already), I'll break your arms then...

Expat - do you actually have a life? Just wondering...

I am not sure I should dignify the initial post with a response addressing the (so-called) issues raised, but I cannot help it - am an idealist at heart

Expats in Hong Kong profit from production in China. Production in China is taking place because the costs are lower - costs for labour, environmental protection, protection of the life of workers and residents.
    Economics 101: People everywhere benefit from the efficient allocation of productive resources (including people). That is, ceteris paribus economic activity should be carried out where there are/by the resources with the lowest relative costs.

So, we can't possibly be interested in raising the living standard in China to European or American levels. This would negate the necessity of us being here and jeopardise our jobs here in this city.
    Does not make sense. If the improved living standard is a result of greater value creation, there is no problem with this. Even if not, people in 'gate keeping' positions (i.e., controlling/facilitating flows of funds or goods) would benefit (regardless of whether they are expats or local). In addition, raised living standards in China will result in additional consumers/markets and increasing demand for products and services. Consequently, there will be many more opportunities for people who produce/provide products and services to them (directly or indirectly).
    It is the concept of economic growth - everybody benefits (the rising tide lifting all the boats).

Or even shorter: we shorten our life because we are afraid of not being able to lead a long life. We commit suicide because we are not sure about the future.
    I have not seen any evidence to support this statement. Specifically, life expectancy has been increasing around the world together with economic growth/development due to advances in health care and awareness.

However, anybody who asks why we continue doing this, is accused of being paranoid and deviant.
    Again have not seen evidence to support that "anybody" who questions the described behaviors/patterns "is accused of being paranoid and deviant." By definition, there will always be people who disagree with you and some will be dismissive and refuse to debate the issues based on merits, but there are many examples to the contrary (including on this site).
    There are plenty of fora for people to voice their opinions and discuss issues - not my call to decide whether this is one of them in for this particular matter (otherwise KIA would be out of a job ).

Sorry for asking stupid questions.
    Believe the issue is not whether your question is "stupid", but rather whether it is genuine. If this is a sincere post about the issue (again, I am probably idealistic/naive) then, in the words of Hall, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." If the intent is to rile and offend people, then I am very much with KIA and resident triad chapter (the 'GeoExpat Gang of Brothers' has a nice ring to it )

Lightbulb

I have no life so I will add. Actually I just needed an extra break from this long report I have to write up.

Expatriate, it would help if we had more focus to this thread you started. I tried but failed to see the central tenet of your discussion. And I don't think the noise from the other posts with breaking legs and other superfluous thoughts helped in that regard.

What I do seem to get is that you have a struggle with the culture of money here in this region of the world. It pervades and makes a "mockery" of other "Western-style" values. I gotta admit, I am on the same boat. But a thought to chew on is that, this region has been very poor for a long time. The cultural revolution and a strict regime made sure that an entire generation of people are void of ethical, religious, and moral guidance amongst other things. You suddenly open the door to possible wealth and there's only one obvious result: Everyone wants a share of it. It is only natural.

As an expatriate myself, I have a different point of view that allows me to make judgment calls on the lives of people here. I make them silently as I go about my life. We are in a "privileged" place that we can appreciate the less than admirable situation people in China are facing right now, even though from their perspective it is a great time of plenty and the struggle to make that extra penny is worth the, from a our point-of-view, the "indignity" of having to scrape for it. It is simply two points of views. Be happy you are allowed yours. I am eternally grateful that I know that there exists something else. The people here have their own. It is who they are. Over time it will change, but for now, who can blame a poor person for wanting a better life?