Like Tree80Likes

What's up with the Indonesian punks?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by m4nn:
    ...don't think i would want a lesbian DH in my household with my daughter.
    good at the job, or not!..
    well that's really not an issue in my view

...don't think i would want a lesbian DH in my household with my daughter.
    good at the job, or not!..
    Why not? Do you think it's catching?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Why not? Do you think it's catching?
    don't care about the DH, just my daughter's interests!...

don't care about the DH, just my daughter's interests!...
    But you have not answered the question of why you think your daughter's interests would be at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I think you're displaying a generational gap there. Most of the few 20-somethings I know on Facebook have far fewer restrictions on viewing than the oldies like us. There seems to be something in what Zuckerberg says in that people simply seem more relaxed about washing all their dirty laundry in public these days.
    That won't last - but a lot of young people are going to get burned by stupidly putting personal stuff in a public record anyway.
    mercury_element likes this.

Interesting cultural gap here. Without overgeneralizing, Hullexile, Moving07, PDLM, and I are all Westerners who bring to this discussion an assumption that individual choice is just that, and to make a hiring decision based on someone's personal life would be wrong. At the same time, many of the more 'local' people - HK Chinese - seem to believe that their DH's personal and private life is their business.

I mean no offense to anyone by this, I am just making an observation. Also, no insult intended to the many HK Chinese who don't fit the stereotype I've just presented.

I suppose that I would take someone's dress and manner into account when making a hiring decision. Personally, I like the idea of having a somewhat 'edgy' DH. The more they express their individuality, the less likely DH are, as a group, to be viewed as (and treated as) semi-slaves. I suppose that if an employer didn't like the green hair (although it has nothing to do with job performance) they would have the right to not hire someone on that basis. Still, basing the choice on sexual preference is a real no-no for us Westerners. Certainly many of the DH may be bi or gay in any case. But given the enforced celibacy and strict sex-segregation (closely monitored, of course, by their employers) of most DH's lives, who can be surprised that more than a few otherwise straight DH's enter into lesbian relationships, just as people do in prison, or in a same-sex boarding school?

I don't think it's part of their "job interview" to state what their sexual preference is and for most of these girls, it's the lack of available men for them in HK that turns them into lesbians. But if exposed with more boys, I think it will be different.

Some lesbians are not really lesbians.. I know that's contradicting but what I mean is that it seems in the Indonesian community here, it could be the "IN" thing that's why now we see so many of them dressing this way and acting this way and they may even have girl-to-girl relationships, but they could just be doing that in order to belong or to fit in or have something in common to talk about with their peers.

dont know why this discussion became a talk about lesbians.

irregardless of the sexual preference, i just wonder who would hire a punk as a DH?

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    dont know why this discussion became a talk about lesbians.

irregardless of the sexual preference, i just wonder who would hire a punk as a DH?
    I would, can't see how they dress or the colour of their hair affects their work. If they started spitting at the kids I might get a bit upset though (I am old enough to remember the originals and to have gone to the gigs)
    Freetrader likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast