Like Tree2Likes

Coming to HK with a Criminal Record – Updates?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Coming to HK with a Criminal Record - Canadian Citizenship

I am a Canadian citizen and just wonder if anybody had experience to go to Hong Kong that has trouble in entering Hong Kong with criminal record. I would like to go to visit my girlfriend in Hong Kong for 1 month only. I am not sure if I still have criminal record in Canada or if it is a serious crime. I attempted to cash a bad check of can$1,800 and was convicted 11 years ago and was sentenced to do community service. I got probation and no fines. I completed the sentence 10 years ago. I have 4 questions:

1. Am I able to apply a Canadian passport without applying criminal rehabiliation?
    2. If Canada approved to issue me a Canadian passport, will there be any trouble to enter Hong Kong?
    3. Will Canada release my criminal record to Hong Kong Immigration and don't let me enter Hong Kong after my arrival and . As I know that Canada will release those criminal record to the U.S. ?
    4. If Hong Kong immigration ask me whether I have crimes before, should I say yes or no?

What I am worrying about is that if i have trouble in entering Hong Kong with criminal records and without doing rehibiliation in Canada, I don't border to go and waste money to buy the airticket.

Date: Oct. 19, 2010

from the responses posted so far and my research on the topic, i think you'll be fine. what you described, passing a bad check, would be considered a petty crime (summary offence) as opposed to a more serious crime (an indictable offence) such as drug possession or trafficking.

my most countries would not care about such minor offences.

even with a criminal record, every citizen once they've done their time, is able to get a passport.

the hk immigration arrivals card does not ask whether you have a criminal record and the immigration officer usually does not ask either.

Alan Lee likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4