calling UK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

calling UK

Can anyone tell the cheapest option for calling the Uk, I bought a calling card for 100 dollars and it only gives 10 minutes talk time to a UK landline which doesn't seem very much. Any thoughts greatly appreciated

There are many threads asking the same question but as you're new I'll honour you with an answer (as no one else has bothered).
    If you have a landline then get onto 1507. I use them. Otherwise 0060 from PCCW and 0080 from HGC are good too.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    There are many threads asking the same question but as you're new I'll honour you with an answer (as no one else has bothered).
    If you have a landline then get onto 1507.
    I use 1507 but only if I don't have access to a computer.
    You can also register your mobile with 1507.

Otherwise, I use Skype or a number of other VoIP services.

Go into any 7/11 and ask for a people's IDD sim card, it will cost 98 dollars. These sim cards have no IDD charge for calls to landlines of about 20 or so countries, the UK is one of them. The only charge is 25 cents per minute, so you can work out how many minutes that gets you. You can then just buy normal top ups for the sim card for 100 dollars from the 7/11. I use this card and spend probably an hour or so a week to my family every weekend and it costs me under a pound

There are so many cheap options it's hardly worth searching for the absolute cheapest. I use PCCW 0060 with a monthly package - from memory I think I pay $38/month for 300 minutes to the UK or several other countries. You can work out what that is in pounds.

Go to World Wide House in Central (all day at weekends but before 7 p.m. weekdays and buy one of the many calling cards sold to Domestic Helpers. You need to go up the escalator to the first floor and visit one of the many Filipino stores selling calling cards. There are many to chose from but one I find works very well to the UK is KISSES card.

The face value of the card is HKD 50 but tell the girl you don't want to pay face value and she will let you have it for around HKD 43. Calling a UK landline beginning 01 or 02 you will get 150 minutes which works out to approx 29 cents per minute.

The card is very simple to use and I recommend it. Besides I always find it fun to ask a Filipina shop assistant for Kisses.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    If you have a landline then get onto 1507. I use them. Otherwise 0060 from PCCW and 0080 from HGC are good too.

DBay, where can I see the prices of 1507?
    No figures given on their website!

You need to ring them for the prices. But currently there is a promotion if you use your mobile to ring landlines @ HKD0.05/minute to the UK and Australia. There are other countries too but I don't ring them so made no effort to remember.

Is the PCCW just a name for a make of sim card. I have used a number of different sim cards in the past, but im not sure which is the best one. Some of the sim cards you need to dial a 4 digit number before you actually dial your UK number.

The one im using at the moment is called New World Mobility, but im not sure if it is cheaper than the other sim cards though.

Is there a good "all rounder" that has cheap IDD calls to China and UK and is also cheap calls within HK?

YOu can also check out the website jajah.com.

Depends on whether you and/or receiver are on landline or mobile as to cost but there is an option that ends up being free to call UK.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast