Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MovingIn07
  • 1 Post By imparanoic

Sending mooncakes to Switzerland

Closed Thread

Sending mooncakes to Switzerland

I am thinking of sending mooncakes to a friend in Switzerland and have two questions:

1) Does the Post Office sell packing material on premises?
    2) Any tips on how I might make the shipping a successful one (read : avoid the parcel being detained, devoured or discarded by customs)

Not sure about custom rules in switzerland, but most countries in the EU don't allow 'food'. (not even beef jerky n such) So don't mark your parcel as edible. if you must send mooncakes, I would select one without a tin box (to keep a low profile, even though it offers more protection, it makes it heavier)

The post office sells cardboard boxes in several sizes.

Last edited by reprazent; 10-09-2010 at 02:38 PM.

order drirectly from the biggest and famous moon cake manufacturer - wing wah, they have a presence in switzerland.

http://www.mooncake.com/select_city.php

but it seem to be not so cheap

i believe that can send any non meat or non seafood food stuff to EU.

Gothamite likes this.

I think your two problems are squashing and shaking. You can prevent squashing by having a robust outer box (or tin, as suggested above). You are reduce shaking by having less room between the cake and the sides of the box/partitions on the box - so either choose your mooncakes wisely, or wrap them in tissue paper (or equivalent) and ensure no shakability in the box. The rest is just standard wrap and post.

Gothamite likes this.

...and before anyone asks, the post office is a large building with "Post Office" written on it

So yes, I found the Post Office does sell packing material, and I decided to go with the tin.

Fingers crossed!

It'll be fine. I've sent all kinds of edible goodies to Europe. Obviously you should not be sending meat etc. Posting things the other way seems riskier e.g. from there to here. Couple of times I've received mail pretty much ruined due to water damage during the wetter months. Not sure if this is a HK wide thing or just my bad luck.